Problem with Deltec 600ix pump

skijumpersc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A guy in my area was selling off a tank and I just picked up his lightly used Deltec 600ix skimmer. I got it home and cleaned it up and put it into my tank and when I plugged it in, nothing happened. I pulled everything back apart to get to the pump to try and diagnose the issue.

What i’ve discovered is if I pull the pump apart, put it back together, and then plug it in it’ll move water for about a second before it stops pumping and just makes noise. Does anyone have experience with these pumps or has had a similar issue with another brand? I’m hoping its an easy fix and I won’t have to get a new impeller right off the bat.

OP
OP
S

skijumpersc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Battlecorals it sounds like you have a lot of experience with the Deltecs. Have you seen this issue before? There’s a small ceramic spacer on the shaft of the impeller, I’m wondering if there was another that may have fallen off and gotten lost. The Deltec manual doesn’t have a good schematic of the pump itself nor have i been able to find any good description of the internals of the pump

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the bushing installed properly at the end of the shaft where it meets the clear plastic flow housing? Also make sure that clear plastic flow housing is installed properly. Once after a cleaning, I installed it without making sure it was fully seated onto the threads and the impeller acted similarly to what you’re describing.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the last model but the impellers only came with a single bushing that was in front of the pinwheel (toward the outside of the pump).

OP
OP
S

skijumpersc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the bushing installed properly at the end of the shaft where it meets the clear plastic flow housing? Also make sure that clear plastic flow housing is installed properly. Once after a cleaning, I installed it without making sure it was fully seated onto the threads and the impeller acted similarly to what you’re describing.

I’m not sure if it’s properly installed or not. It’s really loose on the shaft, but I’ve got it between the impeller and where the shaft goes into the clear housing. How far does the shaft extend past the magnets on the end that goes into the pump?

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m not sure if it’s properly installed or not. It’s really loose on the shaft, but I’ve got it between the impeller and where the shaft goes into the clear housing. How far does the shaft extend past the magnets on the end that goes into the pump?

Any chance you can post a pic of the assembled impeller with the spacer as you have, it and a pic of just the impeller magnet if possible??

OP
OP
S

skijumpersc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Battlecorals Is this what you’re looking for?
2D1F7839-FC5F-461C-A0F1-2CAC017727BA.jpeg

1253F81F-2BFB-4D3F-80ED-BD7F5CB94C6B.jpeg

This thing is starting to drive me crazy. The pump was sitting in my sump all day while I was at work so I decided to test it before pulling it apart again. when I turned it on it worked! I cycled it a few more times to make sure it wasn’t a fluke and then put my skimmer back together. When I turned it on it was no longer working. When i went to pull the skimmer out of my sump to take it apart again i bumped the adjustment knob and snapped it off. ;Sorry The pump by itself is working again so I’m going to reassemble it and try again, wish me luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

skijumpersc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UGH. I put everything but the adjustment tube and collection cup on and tested it and it worked, I thought I'd finally figured it out. I put the last two pieces on and nothing again. no start then stop, just nothing

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer about the snapped adjustment knob... I bought my SCA1351 used and it had a snapped off adjustment knob as well (damage from shipping). I ordered the replacement knob assembly from Adam @Battlecorals and then ended up getting the manual swabbie neck cleaner lid as well. Adam has all the spare parts that you’ll ever need for your Deltec skimmer.

OP
OP
S

skijumpersc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer about the snapped adjustment knob... I bought my SCA1351 used and it had a snapped off adjustment knob as well (damage from shipping). I ordered the replacement knob assembly from Adam @Battlecorals and then ended up getting the manual swabbie neck cleaner lid as well. Adam has all the spare parts that you’ll ever need for your Deltec skimmer.

Thanks for the link! I've got it glued for now, but I'm not sure how long that'll last. It's been a rough couple of days for my tank, one of my chalk bass has popeye, I'm guessing he scratched it on one of those dang vermitid snail tubes.

However, things may be looking up since I've finally gotten it to run while its fully assembled! Looks like I need to adjust my sump water level, but I'm stoked on how quiet it is and how easy to adjust it seems to be. I've got the knob screwed all the way down and the water level in the other tube is about an inch below the min water line still and the bubbles are just below the plastic collar on the main body. Where do you have yours set? I'd like to get a dry skimmate

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the prior generation SCA 1351 which is essentially the 600ix. I keep my skimmer in 8” of water and the water level in the adjustment knob riser tube is about 1/8” below or right at the neck flange. It lets me easily adjust for nice dark skimmate with plenty of play on the adjustment knob to skim even drier if I wanted to.

A00C7AD9-D835-4F15-87BA-434259993272.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back