Problem with large Icecap algae scrubber

Leerph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this thing set up for a couple months now. I am getting the weirdest growth on it as shown in the pic. The only areas of the screen with growth are the very bottom which is submerged at all times by the water level being a couple inches deep inside the box, as well as the very top of the screen which is actually shaded from the light by the salt spray tube. In addition, the bottom couple of inches inside the unit that is fully submerged is also growing a lot of algae. I don't see any other option beyond it being an issue of too much light. Currently I run the lights on a reverse schedule of the DT and they run 14 hours a day. It's just so weird to see absolutely no growth at all throughout the middle of the screen. I have tried reducing the flow but it made no difference. Should I try unplugging 2 of the 4 lights or try a shorter photo period. I definitely have enough nitrate and phosphate to grow algae. About 25 nitrate and 0.1 phosphate.

20210915_203121.jpg

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When you have the ATS on can you out your finger in the clean mesh area and will water run over your finger?

OP
OP
L

Leerph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. My first thought was uneven water flow but the entire screen is definitely getting a nice stream of water.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd say give it lower to grow up and dowm the screen.

If it's holding nutrients where it's at then no reason to clean it.

My thoughts is Once it really takes hold it will start dropping numbers more.

Took mine about 3 months to start growing a nice patch

Back