Problem with Ricordea

Richard Newman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Recently (last couple of weeks) my ricordea has started shrinking. Not sure why. Water parameters are rather stable and don't fluctuate much. Tank is 11 months old. The ricordea has been in the tank for a few months and until recently been doing well.

Parms from last test (Jan 26):
Temp 76F
Salinity 34.2 ppt
Ph 7.8
Alk 8.2
Nitrate 0-5
Phosphate .1
Calc 450
Iodine .06

Ideas?

Thanks!

IMG_1747.jpeg

thaistalyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't look like he is extremely unhealthy, however it does seem he is not opening up fully in that picture.

One thing I did notice is that you have quite a bit of aptasia or hydroids. Its hard for me to tell for sure. Is it possible they have spread to the plug the ricordea is on and are irritating him? I have circled some of the offenders below.

1580229163348.png

OP
OP
R

Richard Newman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @thaistalyn.
Thanks @TerriCaton.

Yeah, I've been dealing with the aptasia and/or hydroids. I added 3 peppermint shrimp and a yellow corris wrasse. However, they seem to be SLOWLY eating some, but seem to eat everything but... I'll pull the plug out and see if there is anything obvious. I could give a quick h2o2 and iodine dip and see if that helps.

Currently it is cooler here in the Tampa area and my house temp is about 69. The tank heater is set for 76. Normally the tank runs between 77 and 78 deg. I lost several fish late last year due to some sort of bacteria outbreak. Only the watchman goby and firefish survived. At that time the tank heater was set for 78 and the tank would run 79 to 81. Currently I have return pump, skimmer, wavemakers (x2), and a media reactor adding to the tank heat. I don't think the heater gets much turn on time...

I may look at some of the reef save aptasia away treatments.

Thanks again!

thaistalyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had first hand success with Berghia Nudibranchs. (Salty Underground) to eradicate Aiptasia. Just make sure you don't have any fish (wrasses or hawks) that may eat them - or a least isolate the fish for a week or two while the Nudi's do their job. Also lower your flow at night so they can travel about and eat (they seem to be nocturnal).

I've tried shrimp and Aiptasia-X with no success. About a year ago I put Nudi's in the tank and haven't seen aiptasia since the end of the summer.

Island Reef 242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Recently (last couple of weeks) my ricordea has started shrinking. Not sure why. Water parameters are rather stable and don't fluctuate much. Tank is 11 months old. The ricordea has been in the tank for a few months and until recently been doing well.

Parms from last test (Jan 26):
Temp 76F
Salinity 34.2 ppt
Ph 7.8
Alk 8.2
Nitrate 0-5
Phosphate .1
Calc 450
Iodine .06

Ideas?

Thanks!

IMG_1747.jpeg
Hi Richard, you did not mention what you are feeding them. The first time I had ric's I didn't feed them very much, just some pellets that would occasionally land on them. They only lasted about 5 months and shriveled up till they disappeared. I have new ones now, for about a month, I am feeding them directly, every other day, a home made frozen mix of clams, squid and silversides, along with pellets all soaked in selcon. They eat the stuff up and are starting to split and multiply.

OP
OP
R

Richard Newman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @IslandReef242.
That's very interesting. I didn't know they would directly eat like a duncan or an anemone.
I will try to feed it directly today. I feed LRS reef frenzy, pellets, frozen mysis, and Dr G's copod max.
I also broadcast feed reefroids twice a week. I'll spot feed the ricordea some today.
Thanks again.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had first hand success with Berghia Nudibranchs. (Salty Underground) to eradicate Aiptasia. Just make sure you don't have any fish (wrasses or hawks) that may eat them - or a least isolate the fish for a week or two while the Nudi's do their job. Also lower your flow at night so they can travel about and eat (they seem to be nocturnal).

I've tried shrimp and Aiptasia-X with no success. About a year ago I put Nudi's in the tank and haven't seen aiptasia since the end of the summer.

I did the exact same thing a few years ago, also with great success. By the way, I love Navarre Beach!

Once the aiptasia is gone what do the Berghia Nudibranchs eat?

Good question! I believe they strictly eat aiptasia. If I could capture any of mine, I was going to take them to my LFS to work on some of their tanks. I couldn't manage to get any out, so I guess they eventually died out. :(

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back