Problem?

jettpeterson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got these zoas today and put them in the display aquarium 2-3 hours ago they opened when i put them in there but then they closed up all my parameters are good and the temp is 79.5 is there anything wrong with him or is he okay

90CD8989-1384-4434-A5F0-81B8576AEFA3.jpeg

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just put them in, give them at lease a few days to “relax”. Most likely the stress of the purchase/transfer/and different water is causing them to be closed. I would wait a few days and see how they do.

that’s if all water parameters are “good” as you said.

many of us here have a bit of a “pet peeve” and hate to see “parameters are good” lol. Better yet we like to see the actual results of Alk, Cal, Mag, Salinity, no3, po4, and ph. This helps identify anything that may be out of whack.

also the age of the tank and the lighting also helps to come up with an probable cause.

one thing for me: I noticed once I started dosing iodine my zoas really took off. Just food for thought. Just be careful dosing anything you can’t test. I do 1/2 recommended dose.

good luck and happy reefing!

Last edited:

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got these zoas today and put them in the display aquarium 2-3 hours ago they opened when i put them in there but then they closed up all my parameters are good and the temp is 79.5 is there anything wrong with him or is he okay

90CD8989-1384-4434-A5F0-81B8576AEFA3.jpeg
Key word is today.... give it time...Likely acclimation. Params good , means what?

OP
OP
J

jettpeterson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just put them in, give them at lease a few days to “relax”. Most likely the stress of the purchase/transfer/and different water is causing them to be closed. I would wait a few days and see how they do.

that’s if all water parameters are “good” as you said.

many of us here have a bit of a “pet peeve” and hate to see “parameters are good” lol. Better yet we like to see the actual results of Alk, Cal, Mag, Salinity, no3, po4, and ph. This helps identify anything that may be out of whack.

also the age of the tank and the lighting also helps to come up with an probable cause.

one thing for me: I noticed once I started dosing iodine my zoas really took off. Just food for thought. Just be careful dosing anything you can’t test. I do 1/2 recommended dose.

good luck and happy reefing!
The tank is 4 months old and I’m running or3s
Salinity -.023
Ph-8.4
Nitrite-1ppm
Nitrate-0
Ammonia-0
Idk what the calcium or phosphate levels are I haven’t tested for them

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity -.023
Ph-8.4
Nitrite-1ppm
Nitrate-0
Ammonia-0
Salinity is a little low and absence of nitrate is an issue. What's your alk?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity -.023
Ph-8.4
Nitrite-1ppm
Nitrate-0
Ammonia-0
Ok great, appreciated. Nitrate zero is not a good thing IMO, but tank is young, I think give it a few days, and see what happens

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also always start coral on the bottom of the tank. Allow a few days to acclimate to lighting before moving up.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double check your testing. The 1 nitrite and 0 nitrate in a 4 month old tank doesn't seem right. pH is at the top limit.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity -.023
Ph-8.4
Nitrite-1ppm
Nitrate-0
Ammonia-0
These are not bad numbers.

the salinity is a bit low. I would aim for 1.025-1.026.

if your showing any ammonia or nitrite then Your cycle may not be complete. (But should be by month 4). But generally there should be no testable ammonia or nitrite.

nitrate and phosphate should be present (not at zero) as the corals need these to perform their metabolic functions, and if these drop too low you risk having other problems. (Like Dino’s)

I think alkalinity, calcium and magnesium are very important to keeping corals, and need to be within acceptable levels and also stable. I would advise pick up a few test kits (not API brand)

I think once you test and get things to acceptable ranges you should be way better off and have much better success.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas don't like 0 nitrates.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth noting, if you are measuring nitrite, you should also be reading nitrate, as most nitrate tests break down nitrate into nitrite to measure.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back