Problems created problems solved.

salinity now

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 1, 2024
Messages
154
Reaction score
85
Location
Topeka KS
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had two problems pop up the last several weeks. The first was a bacterial bloom. I solved it by putting in some Microbe-lift. It took two weeks to clear up the bloom, and everything is cool and groovy now. The second was my Coral Banded shrimp hanging out at the surface. At first I thought oxygen deprived but after adding my air stone for two weeks no movement. Water parameters are stable but I finally hit on the solution. I've been adding fresh R/O water in his area to keep the salinity at 1.025 and he didn't dig it. Today I dumped some fresh water in his area and down he went. Now he's hanging out on his old area under the rocks where the Purple Tang hangs out. I'll add the water on the other side from now on as the other inhabitants don't seem to mind as much. After dosing the tank with Chemi-clean I see no issues, just some new micro-algae on the sand bed. I'm maintenance dosing CyanoClean once a week, and have some Fighting Conch snails arriving Tuesday. Further I knoweth not. I built it one piece at a time and it didn't cost me a dime!

20260621_072128.jpg
 
Glad you were able to solve both of your problems!
 
I can't quite tell if you have a sump down there, but I highly recommend a basic ATO light switch with a container - It keeps the tank topped up in small increments to avoid those kinds of things. And maybe most importantly, removes a boring job from you!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new