Procedural question... Do we have procedures?

SueAbu

Forever Newb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all- this isn't my usual "what is this?", "how should I", "look how cool this is!" post... It's a question about how things are done on R2R.

Why are so many people "reacting" to so many of my undeserving- often inane- comments? People can't possibly be that friendly, nor should they be that attentive to what I'm saying....
Are there participation points for clicking? Are we just over-conditioned by reddit? (I'm old and only recently discovered that platform)

Don't get me wrong. I love it. I feel so accepted and significant.... But also bewildered.
Thanks, all for being so friendly and welcoming!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all- this isn't my usual "what is this?", "how should I", "look how cool this is!" post... It's a question about how things are done on R2R.

Why are so many people "reacting" to so many of my undeserving- often inane- comments? People can't possibly be that friendly, nor should they be that attentive to what I'm saying....
Are there participation points for clicking? Are we just over-conditioned by reddit? (I'm old and only recently discovered that platform)

Don't get me wrong. I love it. I feel so accepted and significant.... But also bewildered.
Thanks, all for being so friendly and welcoming!
Maybe this was the wrong thread under which to ask this question.... I just figured it sounded like something a new person would like to know... But I've been here awhile
Haha, yeah, a lot of people don't bother reading this forum, they just auto-post a welcome - it probably should be in the Forum News/Feedback forum:
That said, there are no participation points for clicking (at least not that I'm aware of) - it's probably just people being friendly, but in a lot of cases it might be someone agreeing with what you said, someone enjoying reading what you wrote, or just someone acknowledging your statement.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this was the wrong thread under which to ask this question.... I just figured it sounded like something a new person would like to know... But I've been here awhile
Some people do it out of habit to acknowledge that they read and like your post. There is no incentive for the person leaving a reaction. But yes, there are many nice people here! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
And as a PS, if you post in this section with the “Hello” tag, people may reply without reading your entire post.

OP
OP
SueAbu

SueAbu

Forever Newb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, yeah, a lot of people don't bother reading this forum, they just auto-post a welcome - it probably should be in the Forum News/Feedback forum:
That said, there are no participation points for clicking (at least not that I'm aware of) - it's probably just people being friendly, but in a lot of cases it might be someone agreeing with what you said, someone enjoying reading what you wrote, or just someone acknowledging your statement.
Well, I AM quite funny... Sarcastic... Sometimes insightful. On the rare occasion I've been know to pass on knowledge I've learned from folks here, like you. I've also been stuck home, recovering from surgery, so haunting the forum religiously. I just didn't think my thoughts were worthy of ALL the clicking I've gotten. I thought maybe it was wrapped up into the hospitality badge.

luis angel

Tailspots and Tacos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I AM quite funny... Sarcastic... Sometimes insightful. On the rare occasion I've been know to pass on knowledge I've learned from folks here, like you. I've also been stuck home, recovering from surgery, so haunting the forum religiously. I just didn't think my thoughts were worthy of ALL the clicking I've gotten. I thought maybe it was wrapped up into the hospitality badge.
I think that they give you the hospitality badge only when you welcome new people to the forum, for example this thread that you just created, but by clicking on post I don't think they give anything, It's just people being friendly and letting you know that they read your post and understand your point of view

Ocean_Queenie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t even know you could auto reply, which I wouldn’t because I like to read peoples story before I welcome them. I definitely like things that people say, either because I agree, it sounds good or a photo looks cool!

zheka757

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that they give you the hospitality badge only when you welcome new people to the forum, for example this thread that you just created, but by clicking on post I don't think they give anything, It's just people being friendly and letting you know that they read your post and understand your point of view
That is correct, I got my badge by welcoming new members. And you have to be on it consistent.
But to answer OP. We don't get any insensitives for doing any of it. We do it just because its nice thing to do.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t even know you could auto reply, which I wouldn’t because I like to read peoples story before I welcome them. I definitely like things that people say, either because I agree, it sounds good or a photo looks cool!
I phrased it poorly - I just meant that people in this forum tend to like and welcome without reading anything, not that they had an auto-reply feature.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I've noticed is that the form tends to have a "social media vibe", and I feel many posts are just about adding to the reaction score.

I thought it was my imagination, so I once posted a welcome reply that includes nothing more than a picture, which got tons of reaction score points.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're all just that nice.

I always try to welcome newcomers because when I joined all of the welcome messages helped me to feel empowered to post in threads and ask questions. I was a member of several other forums that were less welcoming and I would hesitate to post.

I also try to always 'like' every post in a new user thread because I want to acknowledge the effort the posters took to welcome the new member. I also use emojis on a number of posts as a way to agree with a viewpoint or as an alternative to a separate post in a thread that basically just says 'me too'. No points for liking that I'm aware of but it is a quick simple and easy way to acknowledge the work of others. Saying welcome is just a nice way to tell someone new that we are a 'welcoming' community that rarely 'judges'. That is actually a little rare on social media. A lot of us have 'Hospitality Award' badges on our profile but it only means we try to welcome new members and it confers no extras or benefits and I don't think there is anything associated with likes, etc. at all.

We're just nice...

Back