Process to upgrade tank

Obsessed Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m potentially looking at upgrading from my 10G, which is still relatively young, to either a 25 or 30 gallon setup. I would want to add additional CaribSea live sand, and probably another piece or two of CaribSea Life Rock. Being that the sand will have bacteria in it, and I believe the rock as dormant bacteria that is activated when it becomes wet, do I have to cycle the tank first, or can I transfer the sand, rock, and water from my 10G, then add bacteria, either Dr. Tims or MicroBacter and have it support the few pieces of livestock I have currently (2 clowns, CuC, hammer and zoas)?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should move your live rock for sure. Depending on how long your sand has been in use, I'd consider cleaning it first. IMHO, sand is less important to the good bacteria than live rock is.

Since your bio-load is pretty light, I think you'll be fine even without adding any bottled bacteria. I'd recommend having some saltwater ready and available in case you do see a spike in ammonia that doesn't disappear quickly.

OP
OP
Obsessed Reefer

Obsessed Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should move your live rock for sure. Depending on how long your sand has been in use, I'd consider cleaning it first. IMHO, sand is less important to the good bacteria than live rock is.

Since your bio-load is pretty light, I think you'll be fine even without adding any bottled bacteria. I'd recommend having some saltwater ready and available in case you do see a spike in ammonia that doesn't disappear quickly.

So the upgrade is now imminent. I picked up a 34g tank, just have to get a stand and sump. As my tank matured a bit more, I added a RBTA, and also more recently found that I have a vermetid snail issue with my rock in the 10G. So I guess this kinda changes my upgrade process. I’d want to be able to scrub my current rock to try and get rid of the vermetids, but the RBTA is also attached to the rock.

Any insight with how my situation has changed, or do you think I could still get away with just the bottled bacteria?

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a hundred ways to skin a cat. Successes may vary.

Keep the sand. All of it. Rinse it minimally. I just upgraded and I changed out 100% of my sand my acros STNd and my fish broke out in ick. Major mistake

Skip every size in between and just go for a 40 breeder. You'll be happier trust me. It's a size you can hold onto for a while.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back