Profilux Mini??

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Profilux Mini version and if it's worth it to purchase or just go with the regular Profilux 4? Big price difference and the only differences I can see are the Profilux 4 has the expandability and supports the salinity and ORP probes. Not much is mentioned about WiFi in the mini in regards to whether or not it has it so that may be another advantage to the 4.

#ghlusers
@ghlusers

not sure how to tag a group in here

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Profilux Mini version and if it's worth it to purchase or just go with the regular Profilux 4?

I asked the same question around February. The short version is that I don't think the Mini makes sense for a DT, maybe a QT. There is no connectivity or logging, it's seems to have a fraction of the features of the Profilux 4 (myGHL web, data logging of probe data, 0-10v control, doser control, etc.). You could use the Mini to control your heater, control some lights, and *maybe* turn off your Kalkwasser ATO if your pH gets too high, yet there is no way to see what your pH was during the previous 24 hours.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it does have doser control as well as controllable outlets for wave makers and temp control and if it's connected to a small laptop via the USB you should still be able to get all the logging features of the regular Profilux...

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GENERAL
Dimensions WxDxH: 130 x 85 x 25 mm
Delivery inclusive Power Supply Unit, Water Temperature Sensor, USB Cable
Measurement and Control
pH-Value √
Water Temperature √
Functions and Features
Illumination Channels
1-10 V Interfaces 4
Controllable, separately switchable sockets 4
Dosing Pump Control √
Stream Pump Control √
USB Interface √
Alarm √, visually and acoustically
Graphical Display √
Operating System ProfiLuxOS

Listed on GHLs website as features of the MINI

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GENERAL
Dimensions WxDxH: 130 x 85 x 25 mm
Delivery inclusive Power Supply Unit, Water Temperature Sensor, USB Cable
Measurement and Control
pH-Value √
Water Temperature √
Functions and Features
Illumination Channels
1-10 V Interfaces 4
Controllable, separately switchable sockets 4
Dosing Pump Control √
Stream Pump Control √
USB Interface √
Alarm √, visually and acoustically
Graphical Display √
Operating System ProfiLuxOS

Listed on GHLs website as features of the MINI
I thought someone specifically asked if the Doser 2.1 was controllable by the Mini and GHL said no. I can't find that thread right now.

I think the biggest issue to me is that there are no reviews of the products, my threads from February got no traction, and if you buy one you may be the only person on all of R2R that owns one. I don't want to be the only guy owning something. At least there are a few Profilux 4 users around.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the Doser 2.1 isn't compatible maybe I'll do a search and see. I'm fine with being the first one here I was just seeing if there were others around

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the Doser 2.1 isn't compatible maybe I'll do a search and see. I'm fine with being the first one here I was just seeing if there were others around

I found a thread that said the lack of PAB ports prevents controlling the GHL 2.1 doser, but I guess you could still use the stand alone doser. If you get one, I'd love to hear your review. It's ~$400 loaded, so less than half-price. The lighting control is wasted on me while not having connectivity or logging is a bummer for me.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dosing I'm not overly concerned with given the size of my system. If I had a larger system I'd be getting the 4 anyway. I'm curious if the system was constantly linked with a computer if you could still control it remotely through myghl or not. My lights will be controlled through bluefish anyway for me it seems to fit what I need currently and as you said it's MUCH more affordable.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious if the system was constantly linked with a computer if you could still control it remotely through myghl or not. My lights will be controlled through bluefish anyway for me it seems to fit what I need currently and as you said it's MUCH more affordable.

I had a similar question, but I didn't get a response. If I could connect my PC and see the data from previous 24 hours or X period, that might be enough for me to buy it.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had any experience with the mini unit. It doesn't have Wifi or network connections and is made for just one aquarium system.
As far as keeping it hooked up to GCC that is impractical really. If you are forward thinking I would juts get a Profilux 4 unit more room to grow.
Once you have a full unit you start thinking of things that you would like to automate an with a small unit you just get boxed in.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the no network connection does make it limited, just hard to justify the $1500 for the Profilux 4 for such a small system

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's US currency, I live in Canada so it's $1110 CDN for the mega and $1430 for the ultimate, plus approximately $200 in shipping and border fees for either one because there are no Canadian warehouses and they tax the living daylights out of electronics. you come to the lovely $1350-1650 price tag for me, probably more. I ordered a 11.4 Volt li-ion 6.6 amp battery for a hobby project I was doing, this is a small battery mind you, cost $170 for the bat and some small parts and they charged $110 at the border to bring it across and that doesn't include the $50 I paid to ship it in the first place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tim Hortons coffee isn't the same as the original Tim hortons coffee lol Once Burger King bought it around 3 years ago they switched coffee suppliers. If you want truly original Tim Hortons coffee you have to go to McDonald's, they picked up the supplier Tim Hortons dropped and started McCafe afterwards.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 70 74.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 10 10.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back