Profilux touch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My touch went dark on me. It happened after I was running the tank on a generator from Isiais.
After power was restored the touch went dark. Can I send it in for repair or buy just the touch?
Are there any troubleshooting procedures I can do?
Thanks!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy the touch on it's own but it is rather pricey.... @Vinny@GHLUSA any help here...??

Have you contacted GHL outside the forum here to see what they can do to help you out?

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy the touch on it's own but it is rather pricey.... @Vinny@GHLUSA any help here...??

Have you contacted GHL outside the forum here to see what they can do to help you out?
I saw it was about $300, but I'm thinking that comes with the driver module?
Don't think I need it that badly. It was kind of nice to look at when you wanted to know something. I did get used to having it.
No, I figured I'd try this first.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please open a ticket and provide the ticket number. We will continue there.

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please open a ticket and provide the ticket number. We will continue there.
"then the backlight is defective. The production of the ProfiLux Touch has been discontinued in the meantime and therefore we can unfortunately no longer offer you a repair"
This is the response I received from support. My question now is if this is totally discontinued or temporarily? Will something replace it? It's not what I expected from GHL. Especially it being about a two year old system. I got used to having it. It was nice for checking things at a glance.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks that they did not keep spare parts on hand to at least service the existing customer base.

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks that they did not keep spare parts on hand to at least service the existing customer base.
I have a feeling this might be a bad decision on their part. I've seen posts on here about how much people like their touch. As they die out and people find out it's discontinued there might be some backlash.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty surprised by this. I don’t remember seeing any announcement about it being discontinued. @Vinny@GHLUSA , did I miss that somewhere?

On the one hand, I get it. The Touch probably did outlive it’s use in its current form. It just looked like old technology. And the dramatic improvements in the app mean that I’m sure that’s how most people interact with the system.

But at the same time, the app doesn’t replace the main value of the Touch which was the always on/connected aspect of it. Connectivity issues often seem to be the biggest irritant with the GHL systems for some reason. And the delay between opening the app and loading the connections, and then the delay in connecting to the system, make for a frustrating experience if you are trying to quickly turn on a feed/maintenance mode or trying to get in and see something or fix something quickly.

I should say that I didn’t get a Touch with my system because I didn’t think I could justify the cost. The app was just starting to come into its own then but it was clear there were real improvements coming.

So I get that they wanted to move on from it as well if they couldn’t produce it for a reasonable cost.

But I have lately been really hoping for a Touch 2.0 that was essentially the app on an android tablet with a constant connection (or something like that).

This seems like a real need.

Even if they could provide a connection that we could plug our own device into such that it would be always on/connected that would be great. Because at the moment even the GCC seems to time out or drop the connection after a while.

But strange that they would discontinue the existing product before have something else ready to go. And if I had bought one and then found out it couldn’t be repaired I would be pretty unhappy.

Hopefully there is something in the works!

Cheers, Tony

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I would have gotten a Touch had I not gotten my system for a really great price from the for sale section of the forum. But since I do have one I really like being able to glance at the tank and see the parameters, enter maintenance modes, perform probe calibrations and silence alarms (I have the Touch alarm sound on and the P4 itself off).

If mine does go out I'm going to have to figure something out for the hole I drilled in my cabinet door for where I mounted it. In hindsight, probably not the best place to have mounted it since it does get water dripped on it during tank maintenance.

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we sure they are discontinuing the touch forever? From the quote the OP posted, which may not have the whole context, it would appear to me that GHL paused production of fully assembled and parts for the Touch temporarily. This is likely due to COVID and needing to focus their manufacturing on core products.

This is what Ecotech and Neptune are doing.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we sure they are discontinuing the touch forever? From the quote the OP posted, which may not have the whole context, it would appear to me that GHL paused production of fully assembled and parts for the Touch temporarily. This is likely due to COVID and needing to focus their manufacturing on core products.

This is what Ecotech and Neptune are doing.
You might be right about that and it might also apply to the SMS module.
I contacted Aquatronica about a month ago and asked them why they had removed the USA powerbars from their website. They replied saying they had sold them all and since the US Market was small they are concentrating on the EU more. She said that if I wanted a Powerbar they could in house produce one for me within two weeks. She said once the Covid thing is over they will resume building stock of slower moving items.

I guess in these times when cash is low it makes sense to use your money only on products that have a quick sales turn over.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, I was unable to find the Touch display listed on their site.

They have plans for a new version, but no timeline.

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe original plan was a wired touchscreen named "Control pad", port exist on Doser2 and P4.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love a touch screen. Everytime I pass my tank I look at the screen to see my parameters. I like to be able to change stuff on the fly. There have been so many times that I have had to fix something in the Tank and then realize the flow is making things ten times harder. I can just tap on the screen and shut off pumps or power heads. I cannot do that with an phone or tablet because the screen does not respond to wet hands. Another big gripe I have with controllers without a screen is that if you cannot connect via IP you cannot do a darn thing. When you have a screen you always have control and you can even debug why it's not connecting to the internet.

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah, there's none for sale anywhere.

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems everything on GHL end is hush, hush on this????

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems everything on GHL end is hush, hush on this????
Its not just GHL, its happening at almost all the companies.
I think two weeks ago I got the last Ecotech MP40 QD Wet Side replacement head on the planet.
Just imagine having a nice 150G tank and one of your opposing MP40 heads goes bad. Your up the creek right now. ETM is out of stock on a lot of other items also. Neptune seems to come and go. ESV seems to be shutdown and there are probably a lot more but I don't deal with them so I am not following their product lines.

I really hope this is just temporary out of stock situation for GHL because having a display head is really a nice item to have.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 16.7%
Back