Programming DOS AWC

TAHK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear all,
I have decided to make the AWC system using Neptune DOS. The intake is going to be from 50 gal bin in the shed and output is going to go in the drain. The DOS is placed in the shed. I have configured DOS according to Neptune suggested setup. It works in a sense that the water gets pulled out of the sump and gets back in the sump at an appropriate rate. However, the DOS is still quite loud. I would like to do 5gal per day on Monday through Friday from 7am to 2pm. This way it will not bother anyone in my or my neighbor’s house. Does anyone know the mode to do it?
Any advice is appreciated.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adjust the current DOS schedule for each head so it starts at 7am and ends at 2pm. Then click the gear icon at the top, and click the Advanced tab. Enter this code into the Advanced tab:

If DOW S-----S Then OFF

Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 10.16.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 10.17.43 AM.png

Then click the orange arrow icon at the top to save the changes. Repeat these steps for the Add and Remove heads so they both have the same configuration.

Also, be sure to read my recommendation about modifying Neptune's instructions on the tubing connections to make it easier to calibrate and prime your DOS:

costaricareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adjust the current DOS schedule for each head so it starts at 7am and ends at 2pm. Then click the gear icon at the top, and click the Advanced tab. Enter this code into the Advanced tab:

If DOW S-----S Then OFF

Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 10.16.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 10.17.43 AM.png

Then click the orange arrow icon at the top to save the changes. Repeat these steps for the Add and Remove heads so they both have the same configuration.

Also, be sure to read my recommendation about modifying Neptune's instructions on the tubing connections to make it easier to calibrate and prime your DOS:
That's a nice one!

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the wizard to schedule each head individually. This makes both head turn the normal way and calibration is easier.

If you stagger the start and end times of the "add" and "remove" heads, then they won't both run at the same time. Not running both at the same time equals half the noise-level. I change out 2 gallons of water a day and have mine staggered by 3 minutes (add: 00:01 - 23:56, remove: 00:04 - 23:59).

An additional way to lower the volume is to spread the time over a longer portion of the day. In my case, removing 2 gallons over 24 hours is much less noisy (heads turning slower) then removing 2 gallons over 12 hours (heads turning faster).

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the wizard to schedule each head individually. This makes both head turn the normal way and calibration is easier.

If you stagger the start and end times of the "add" and "remove" heads, then they won't both run at the same time. Not running both at the same time equals half the noise-level. I change out 2 gallons of water a day and have mine staggered by 3 minutes (add: 00:01 - 23:56, remove: 00:04 - 23:59).

An additional way to lower the volume is to spread the time over a longer portion of the day. In my case, removing 2 gallons over 24 hours is much less noisy (heads turning slower) then removing 2 gallons over 12 hours (heads turning faster).
Been down the paths of AWC during the daytime, and spreading out the AWC period. Both are bothersome, even if it’s at a low decibel, as it going on every 15 or so minutes a distraction. Final decision is just to do the AWC at nighttime when everyone’s asleep. I do 4 gallons from midnight to 6am. It is loud, but not noticeable whilst asleep. Just wondering if the sound bothers the fish.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 97 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back