prolong effect of actinic lights

ikolbaba06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the settings at the third blue setting from bottom at the time and I think in the 50-65% range. The lights were sitting at 15” above water line. I have since lowered to 12” and I’m now at 93% at second blue setting. I changed to the more blue setting after reading your ap700 review. The parts that are not getting hit by light as much( lower branches) are still green in one particular acropora colony and my efflo colony is still basing out and still green. Nutrients were nitrate around 25-30 ppm and phosphates around 0.08 ppm range. They are now nitrate 5 ppm and phosphates 0.02-0.04.

ikolbaba06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk has been at the 8.3-8.6 range consistently and calcium 400-410 range.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience greening of acros means one of 3 things.

1. Too much light, I've seen this with deep water acros.
2. Low light, depends on the acro. (More common, red planet for example)
3. Maricultured that turns green no matter what you do because maricultured almost always change colors the first 6 weeks out of the ocean.

An interesting thing I noticed here; Vivid Aquariums regularly BLASTS their corals with a lot of radions at 100%. They've shown me some colonies of the same corals in lower light vs higher light, and for them, their higher light always looks best.

Although I do not know how long their photoperiod is. Maybe it's all day like their store hours, or maybe that back room is only lit for 6 hours or something silly.

ikolbaba06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to bring this back up. I noticed once I purchased the mq-510 meter that my par was relatively on the lower side for sps. Since dropping the lights and increasing par slowly colors are starting to come out even more. I’m wondering if the green pigment is related to intensity as well? Lower par intensity with a bluer spectrum pulls out the green?

ikolbaba06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red fluorescence (in Acropora millepora FP-597) will continue to increase at high light intensity (700 µmol·m²·sec). However, 'greening' has been noted with some red proteins (mostly those from corals living a depths greater than 40 meters , or 130 feet - in other words, not many). Greening occurs when the red protein is selectively destroyed (photobleached, perhaps by infrared radiation) making the green fluorescence more apparent.

Interesting little tidbit here. The acropora in question I believe is a millepora and was pink when I first received it. I’ll keep this thread updated.

ikolbaba06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and thank you Dana for the article. Are your thoughts still the same concerning the apogee meters, in particular the mq-510 par meter? I saw this article was written in 2012. So maybe your conclusions have changed.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and thank you Dana for the article. Are your thoughts still the same concerning the apogee meters, in particular the mq-510 par meter? I saw this article was written in 2012. So maybe your conclusions have changed.
I'm biased - I consulted (gratis) with Apogee when they were designing the MQ-510. A fine instrument.

AB_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting read..

I have been running ATI sunpower 8x54W fixture with a reef brite strip on my 120 SPS dominant for past year or so. However as the corner portions of the tank were not getting enough light i added 2 Hydra 52HD which I had lying around and set them up with a profile similar to AB+ with acclimation period of 45 days..
Within the first week I noticed my acros on the top half of the tank showing more greener shades and blue and purple fading a bit.. Will leave it as it is for a month of so and see if the color shifts again or how they react..

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting read..

I have been running ATI sunpower 8x54W fixture with a reef brite strip on my 120 SPS dominant for past year or so. However as the corner portions of the tank were not getting enough light i added 2 Hydra 52HD which I had lying around and set them up with a profile similar to AB+ with acclimation period of 45 days..
Within the first week I noticed my acros on the top half of the tank showing more greener shades and blue and purple fading a bit.. Will leave it as it is for a month of so and see if the color shifts again or how they react..
What was the outcome of the extra light?

AB_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is colorful and happy as of now however can't say its bcoz of additional lighting as im constantly making so many changes so can't keep track of things..

Perhaps the most interesting thing i Saw after the hydra addition was with my green smooth skin acro which was right under the leds on the top of the tank started showing some signs of purple color and now its new branches are all pruple. Im quiet certain this is due to exposure to Leds as this piece has been with me for years and was always all green..

IMG_20191006_182802.jpg

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is colorful and happy as of now however can't say its bcoz of additional lighting as im constantly making so many changes so can't keep track of things..

Perhaps the most interesting thing i Saw after the hydra addition was with my green smooth skin acro which was right under the leds on the top of the tank started showing some signs of purple color and now its new branches are all pruple. Im quiet certain this is due to exposure to Leds as this piece has been with me for years and was always all green..

IMG_20191006_182802.jpg
Thank you for the update, beautiful piece!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back