Proper speed in which to raise ALK?

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so just got my Trident and am thrilled with the specificity it gives each day. Especially as I am not an avid tester, just couldn't get around to doing it. So, that being said, how quickly would you raise dKh by 1? Over a week, two weeks? I am going from a low 6.8, and want to get it to 8.8ish. But do not want to stress out my acro's at all, and am in no rush. I already raised it from 6.5 to 6.8 over 2 days; crazy how the Trident picked up the increased dosage right away. (And yes I know below 7 is not close to ideal, but things seem decent to ok right now so no rush to jack it up).

Cheers.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going with jda on this. Super slow. May I ask why you want 8.8? It may cause some burnt tips if you have low no3 and po4.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your NO3 and PO4 readings?
If they are low, I'd stick with 7.7-8.0 dKh or so.

As for raising your Alk, you can safely do it @ 1.0 per day if you're in a hurry, but the slower the better due to your level being so low.

.05/day would be better until you get it closer to 7.7

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals can tolerate Alk dropping faster more so than it being raised faster.
When I wrote .05, I really meant going from 6.8 to 6.85 in one day.
If your tank was at 7.5 and you wanted to raise it to 8.5 I'd say go for it.
But, I've found with any level below 7.0, corals do not react well to quick changes.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk rises and falls a full dKh, some days even more, everyday.
Same. Just had to tune my CaRx after adding new media and CO2 tank. Alk “jumped“ from 7.3 to 8.2 in a day.

personally, I’ve Raised it 0.5 dkh in a day without a problem. It’s when you have a spike from something like 7.5 to 11.5 that you COULD have issues, and even still this isn’t guaranteed. Ask @Chaswood79 how that went.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, you guys can have your Alk rise by 1.0 per day, but you aren't thinking about the OP.
You cannot have a sensitive tank rise that much in 1 or 2 days !!!!!!

Shake your heads and give proper advise

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, you guys can have your Alk rise by 1.0 per day, but you aren't thinking about the OP.
You cannot have a sensitive tank rise that much in 1 or 2 days !!!!!!

Shake your heads and give proper advise
You just contradicted yourself. You said you can have alk rise 1.0 dkh in a day, but then you can’t have it rise that much in 1-2 days, in his case 6.8 (not low) to 8.8, which would be over 2 days. And what makes his tank more “sensitive” than anyone else’s? How do you know what he has?

who should be shaking his or her head? Also, raising your dkh by only 0.05 per day is just pure paranoia.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just contradicted yourself. You said you can have alk rise 1.0 dkh in a day, but then you can’t have it rise that much in 1-2 days, in his case 6.8 (not low) to 8.8, which would be over 2 days. And what makes his tank more “sensitive” than anyone else’s? How do you know what he has?

who should be shaking his or her head? Also, raising your dkh by only 0.05 per day is just pure paranoia.
OK, ya I'm guilty ...
I was not watching all the posts I was involved in ...

I personally would not, in the case of the OP with a very low nutrient level, want to raise their Alk by more than 0.5 per day.
Thus, the OP would raise their tank Alk from 7.7 to 8.2dKh per day.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals can tolerate Alk dropping faster more so than it being raised faster.
When I wrote .05, I really meant going from 6.8 to 6.85 in one day.
If your tank was at 7.5 and you wanted to raise it to 8.5 I'd say go for it.
But, I've found with any level below 7.0, corals do not react well to quick changes.
Raising from 6.8 to 8.8 in my world would be over 2-3 days of dosing

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'

OK, it appears my math is whacked ...

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your NO3 and PO4 readings?
If they are low, I'd stick with 7.7-8.0 dKh or so.

As for raising your Alk, you can safely do it @ 1.0 per day if you're in a hurry, but the slower the better due to your level being so low.

.05/day would be better until you get it closer to 7.7
I mentioned the OP would be better suited with a slower addition regimen, didn't I ??

Where did I contradict myself, and why are you being so picky ??
Why are you suddenly the R2R Cop ?? What did I state that gives you the right to state I'm wrong??

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Show me how I hurt someone ...

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 141 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.2%
Back