Proper speed in which to raise ALK?

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From someone who had lost coral from Alk swings, I would raise 0.1-0.2 ALK per day for three consecutive days, then stop for a day, then start raising ALK again for another 3 days until you reach the level you like.
I really recommend you stop at 7.5 for a month or so then start raising ALK again.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just contradicted yourself. You said you can have alk rise 1.0 dkh in a day, but then you can’t have it rise that much in 1-2 days, in his case 6.8 (not low) to 8.8, which would be over 2 days. And what makes his tank more “sensitive” than anyone else’s? How do you know what he has?

who should be shaking his or her head? Also, raising your dkh by only 0.05 per day is just pure paranoia.
I wouldn't call it paranoia. It's not wrong to go slow on raising ALK. I agree 0.05 is a bit too slow but I don't think it's wrong.
On the other hand, raising ALK by 2 in 2 days can cause some serious issues.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have to bring my ALk lower I reduce dosing slightly and let it drop naturally -Its always better to drop 1DKH in 3-6 days but only if neccessary. I would not consider doing 2DKH ever if I you have Acros. Softies and LPS can tolerate better than Acropora and chasing numbers don't work. I try my best to keep my Alk in 7.5 range but it will drop to 7.2 before I have to increase dosing. When my ALk rises to say 8DKH then I know to check my other parameters and always I seem to find something else off when consumption goes down. Testing ALK daily while your making changes is probably the single most important thing one can do in being successful. Let your consumption rate be the determining factor in how you increase or decrease. If I was you I would take it 8dKH and hold it best you can.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't call it paranoia. It's not wrong to go slow on raising ALK. I agree 0.05 is a bit too slow but I don't think it's wrong.
On the other hand, raising ALK by 2 in 2 days can cause some serious issues.
it's paranoia and overthinking it. There are plenty of people who hand dose at night only and their "swings" are 1.0-1.5 dkh/day. To each his own; of course you want it to be as stable as possible, and one should do what one feels they should. Mine rarely goes over 8.0 dkh; I keep mine between 7.3-7.6. and I've had it drop to 7.0 and i have no problems getting it back to 7.6 using pure baking soda that I just add right in. No dividing up that dose. I think for a healthy, thriving system it's not a problem. People that have issues and notice a "swing" maybe have other issues compounding, and perhaps the "swing" is the proverbial straw.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's paranoia and overthinking it. There are plenty of people who hand dose at night only and their "swings" are 1.0-1.5 dkh/day. To each his own; of course you want it to be as stable as possible, and one should do what one feels they should. Mine rarely goes over 8.0 dkh; I keep mine between 7.3-7.6. and I've had it drop to 7.0 and i have no problems getting it back to 7.6 using pure baking soda that I just add right in. No dividing up that dose. I think for a healthy, thriving system it's not a problem. People that have issues and notice a "swing" maybe have other issues compounding, and perhaps the "swing" is the proverbial straw.
More power to you.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back