Proper time for coral

Always Be Reefin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I got live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater (thanks for the recommendation). Tank had been turning for a little over a month now. To stop any concern, im ot trying to rush the process, i just wanted to ask when was the time to get into corals.

Would it it be after all my rock is covered in coralline? Could it hypothetically be now as long as I stick to the side with the live rock?

20231002_193252.jpg

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I got live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater (thanks for the recommendation). Tank had been turning for a little over a month now. To stop any concern, im ot trying to rush the process, i just wanted to ask when was the time to get into corals.

Would it it be after all my rock is covered in coralline? Could it hypothetically be now as long as I stick to the side with the live rock?

20231002_193252.jpg
What kind of coral are you thinking you might want to try?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice rocks! I would find some local LFS and see if they have any inexpensive soft coral. I used zoa's, and leather coral. I suggest leather because in my experience, they can almost live in any environment, take a lot of mistakes but are finicky enough to teach you husbandry.

Just my 2 cent's

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A coral is a living animal. The right thing to do is to research the requirements to keep the coral alive, do you have the right lighting, flow, water parameters? Each coral is different and has its own unique requirements.

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make a list of corals you want and post it. The people here would be able to tell you what to start with. I only say this so you don’t start with a coral like pulsing Xenia because it’s easy but ultimately something you don’t want.

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are starting like you are it would simply be after the cycle when you water is measuring out safe on the regular. You can get away with soft corals fairly early as long as you stick to that.

You will not get coraline unless you have added it to the tank.

For anything else like LPS or SPS I would suggest you wait a good while. 6 months to a year for those.

Black Dog Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice rocks! I would find some local LFS and see if they have any inexpensive soft coral. I used zoa's, and leather coral. I suggest leather because in my experience, they can almost live in any environment, take a lot of mistakes but are finicky enough to teach you husbandry.

Just my 2 cent's
I like this idea, i personally went with a frogspawn as my first. I think they are great tester corals as they’re very hardy but also not shy in telling you when they’re unhappy/ something’s off. Acans (may be a controversial pick) would also be a decent candidate for one of your first few as they can be great identifiers of an issue with phosphates. Softies are an obvious first pick as theres some that are almost impossible to kill, but theres also not as much learning with that either. I would do research on whatever you do decide to make sure you have a good spot picked out that meets all their requirements.

OP
OP
A

Always Be Reefin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of coral are you thinking you might want to try?
A coral is a living animal. The right thing to do is to research the requirements to keep the coral alive, do you have the right lighting, flow, water parameters? Each coral is different and has its own unique requirements.
Make a list of corals you want and post it. The people here would be able to tell you what to start with. I only say this so you don’t start with a coral like pulsing Xenia because it’s easy but ultimately something you don’t want.
Sorry, didn't state that upfront. Plan for the tank was a mix if soft and lps

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, didn't state that upfront. Plan for the tank was a mix if soft and lps
Yeah, I'd try out some softies. Be sure to research them and double check your parameters. Happy Reefing!

OP
OP
A

Always Be Reefin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have the lighting or flow I would need yet. This was more a question to see if the tank itself was ready if conditions were met. Lights and flow can be handled on any paycheck. But if I had those, yet my rock wasn't prepared, I'm aware that would spell doom

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I think since you started with live rock you are good to go with softies. Gsp ( on an island) , mushrooms and zoas should be a good start. A little later you can add lps, don’t necessarily need coralline, as long as you are testing and calcium, magnesium and alk are all good.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back