Proper way to leak test a Waterbox AIO 50.3?

techy_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will a Waterbox AIO 50.3 inbound and wondering what's the best way to do a leak test on an AIO aquarium?

The day it arrives, I plan to build the cabinet and place the aquarium on the stand as soon as possible which will allow me to examine it fully and report back to WB within 24hrs if there's an issue.

Once it's on the stand, what kind of leakage or failure am I looking for typically? It's an AIO so it's not like there's any plumbing to worry about. Is there any chance that the silicone just unexpectedly gives out and the whole tank comes undone and completely downs my floor with water? Figure if the tank was compromised in such a way it would probably break or fall apart when placing it on the stand or even giving a bit of a tug on the sides.

My thought is there might be a weak point somewhere in the silicone, maybe an air bubble, and there would be some slow leak within a few hours but hoping I don't experience a total failure.

Just a tad bit nervous as this is my first aquarium of this size so want to go about the leak test in a slow and controlled manner.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always fill up and do leak test in a garage or basement or somewhere like this if worried.
The chances of it basically blowing alk seems at once and causing mini tsunami are slim.
What I would do is look over tank and all equipment for tank for any ovnious signs of damage and if none,Start your leak test and take it from there.
Level the stand and adjust any feet if you got adjustable feet and use a quality spirit level on all sides and once happy it's level then fill it up and take from there.
Try not drip/ splash any water down outside of tank when filling with water as you may think this is a leak .
Your just looking to see if any water is dripping out of it or leaking in anyway at all on a leak test.
just got to check tank over and if looks ok then have faith is all.
Good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

techy_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think that sounds reasonable and just needed to hear someone else say it.

Is it okay to leak test with tap water and the pump it out and dry the inside as best as possible? Any residue to be worried about?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leak tested mine with rodi as just took a step out of the work of setting up the tank ,then left all pumps,wavemakers running for a day,then all was ok so added salt to the tank,reason why had all pumps running was to tey replicate best I could how tank would end up being when running so wanted all the vibrations and all ( totally get your paranoia as had it myself on many tanks over the years as no one wants a flooded living room hey)
But I've read many much more experienced reefers than myself say leak tested with tap water then drained out and wiped down/ dried best they could,only problem I see with that is getting the last bit of tap water out be a pain as would need keep mopping up with towel and ringing out .
( I totally understand the being scared of using tap water on anything ,been there before also ) even rinsing a turkey baster out or cleaning a pump as kept reading dont use tap water whatsoever for anything which ovniously would be best way but after set up first reef tank and reading multiply people saying they rinse their equipment under tap and just wipe down dry or let dry naturally put my mind at rest ,everyone's tap water different off course ,some good,some bad,but sone use 100% conditioned tap water with some kind dechlorinator and have beautiful tanks ,I read main issue with using tap water is even slightest bad thing in it even if wont cause any short term damage using it,usually its that small part building up and building up until goes into dangerous % ( again all tap water different some good,some bad) but cleaning equipment or leak testing a tank with tap water then drying or removing the tap water shouldn't be a problem whatsoever ,but it's whatever makes you feel comfortable so your choice but personally I just choose to use rodi water and as I try have plan if bad thing happens ( incase damaged tank when livestock in tank and need somewjere to put them) ,I had some large plastering buckets which would hold about 3/4 my tank water ( rodi) if did leak then could drain it down and keep/ save the rodi water if I choose to.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 55 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back