Proper way to run tests on aquarium

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using Hanna checkers for alkalinity and calcium and Red Sea for magnesium.
I always have high magnesium.
I have and use handheld refractometer with new calibration fluid. I also have a Milwaukee MA887 Seawater Refractometer. I have been trying to keep my specific gravity at 1.026.
This is a new aquarium has just finished cycling and I am setting up everything to run the Triton Method.
I don't have any problem with alkalinity or calcium it is just magnesium that is stopping me from getting everything stable which I have been told and understand is the most important thing that I can do as far as alkalinity calcium and magnesium come into play.
It seems to me that it does not take very much difference and specific gravity to change magnesium level.
I could go on and on of how many times I have checked and rechecked everything that has to do with magnesium. I just sent in another ICP test to Triton and hopefully that will give me some clarity on where my magnesium level really is but in the mean time how do I check it what am I doing wrong Ford always to be high I mean 1600 consistently is it all because of my SG.
The only thing I can think of that I am not testing is PH and I don't think there's a problem with that.
I need to do something because I just can't keep up testing over and over again and not sure what to do next.

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1600 is high and at the range where it may be affecting invertebrates - I do not believe it is caused by your salinity being a bit higher but maybe it is much higher and you are unaware?

What calibration solution are you using for your refractometer?

This thread may be useful as people were having similar issues: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/magnesium-too-high-all-the-time.350401/page-2

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you got corals in, or plan on putting some in soon? If not I would focus on your basic prams, natirates, salinity etc

Get to grips with those, then look at the others to get in line.

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the handheld refrac I have. 1x 60mL BRS 35ppt Refractometer Calibration Solution.
I also use it to check my Milwaukee MA887 Seawater Refractometer. But that one uses Distilled water for cal.
I have checked sg so many times it's driving me nuts.When I mixed a sample of 1.024 sg I got 1280 thats why I'm thinking sg but I just don't see me off that much

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the handheld refrac I have. 1x 60mL BRS 35ppt Refractometer Calibration Solution.
I also use it to check my Milwaukee MA887 Seawater Refractometer. But that one uses Distilled water for cal.
I have checked sg so many times it's driving me nuts.When I mixed a sample of 1.024 sg I got 1280 thats why I'm thinking sg but I just don't see me off that much
Mix a sample at 1.026 ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium is NEVER unstable unless you dose a ton. Anything other than a 0-2 ppm per day decline is test error or a salinity change.

The Red Sea mag kit seems to cause folks more issues than most mag kits.

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium is NEVER unstable unless you dose a ton. Anything other than a 0-2 ppm per day decline is test error or a salinity change.

The Red Sea mag kit seems to cause folks more issues than most mag kits.
Thank You Randy but I am still at a lose on what to do. It seems that I can't run SG at 1.026 because my Red Sea Mag test kit reads way up like 1580 1600 and I don't think it is. But I have done that test being so careful to do it just right and it just does not seem to matter what I do it's always high.
This is killing me as I am trying to get my dosing of Triton right.
I sent a ICP test to them and it should have got there today by 3pm have not checked ye but hope I can figure out what to do because I am running out of ideas
Can you suggest another test kit or anything to help me as it has to be me and what im doing wrong but I just can't figure it out

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium is unlikely to be a problem and I would not agonize over it. Magnesium does not suddenly become unacceptable.

How are you dosing calcium and alkalinity?

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium is unlikely to be a problem and I would not agonize over it. Magnesium does not suddenly become unacceptable.

How are you dosing calcium and alkalinity?
I use Hanna for them and think I can dial them in with dosing Triton but with the mag giving me headaches I am not sure what to do. I have been skipping solution #1 and just dosing #2 and I have 3a &b mixed together.
Right now I am ready to dose as I will check but my alk is probally around 7.2 and cal was 433ppm this mornig

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt mix are you using?

I'd probably recommend following the Triton or other method with respect to magnesium dosing (my DIY two part adds a fixed amount of magnesium as do ALL true two parts and Balling methods), I do not know about triton, but I'd expect them to as well), and I'd follow that and just stop measuring it. My expectation is that the current value is not correct.

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt mix are you using?

I'd probably recommend following the Triton or other method with respect to magnesium dosing (my DIY two part adds a fixed amount of magnesium as do ALL true two parts and Balling methods), I do not know about triton, but I'd expect them to as well), and I'd follow that and just stop measuring it. My expectation is that the current value is not correct.
I'm using Tropic Marin Pro-Reef
I received an email from Triton yesterday and they have my water sample. The first one for this new reef aquarium. It will be interesting to see what value they have for Mag.
I would love to just stop measuring it and I know that there are people that have beautiful reef aquariums and don't test for Mag. Myself on the other hand can't stop because I realy need to understand why my tests are wrong what other test kit would you recomend?

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using Hanna checkers for alkalinity and calcium and Red Sea for magnesium.
I always have high magnesium.
I have and use handheld refractometer with new calibration fluid. I also have a Milwaukee MA887 Seawater Refractometer. I have been trying to keep my specific gravity at 1.026.
This is a new aquarium has just finished cycling and I am setting up everything to run the Triton Method.
I don't have any problem with alkalinity or calcium it is just magnesium that is stopping me from getting everything stable which I have been told and understand is the most important thing that I can do as far as alkalinity calcium and magnesium come into play.
It seems to me that it does not take very much difference and specific gravity to change magnesium level.
I could go on and on of how many times I have checked and rechecked everything that has to do with magnesium. I just sent in another ICP test to Triton and hopefully that will give me some clarity on where my magnesium level really is but in the mean time how do I check it what am I doing wrong Ford always to be high I mean 1600 consistently is it all because of my SG.
The only thing I can think of that I am not testing is PH and I don't think there's a problem with that.
I need to do something because I just can't keep up testing over and over again and not sure what to do next.

yes very true 1600 is way too high.
For FOWLR and ULNR it is best to have magnesium of 1000 -1100
and for SPS dominant = 1280
and mixed reef= 1350-1400MAX
I have the same refractometer (MA887) as you and I also have an instant ocean hydrometer and 4 apex probes
(ORP, pH, Temp, Salinity) and a trident for (CA, MAG and ALK)
I also have a full set of hanna checkers
for (Ammonia, Nitrite, Phos, CA, MAG, and pH)
and also a nutrafin saltwater master test kit 10 parameters for backup in case i run outta reagents
You say you want to use the triton method. Fine
Just make sure you have an extra large refugium.
Recommended: Trigger Systems: Triton line of sumps. They are designed to suit this metod.
You should start out with an algae barn refugium starter pack (L) with chaeto
and you should have good dosers like 2-3 neptune DOS with trident and apex or the ecotech ones
buy the ICP tests and get a good skimmer like reef octopus or NYoS and buy a set of core7s
get a couple of good media reactors with carbon and other media (Torq)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes very true 1600 is way too high.
For FOWLR and ULNR it is best to have magnesium of 1000 -1100

Why do you suggest such a low level of magnesium for those aquaria?

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you sug
gest such a low level of magnesium for those aquaria?

Ok:

FO/FOWLR: ~1100- 1150

ULNS: ~1150-1250

SOFT: ~1200

MIXED REEF: ~1350-1500

SPS DOMINANT: ~1280- 1400

More Mg for special LPS and SPS that need more and Tridacna clams.

If it gets over it doesn't matter really the whole range for

No Corals: 1000-1300

Corals: 1200-1500 MAX

The most important is to maintain a balance between Ca, Mg and Alk levels, it has to be balanced and not one too much and one too less.
:)

Last edited:
Back