Propping Yumas

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have arock full of purple/green yumas that are reproducing nicely by pedal laceration/movement. I would like to prop them to spread them amongst my systems and to sell/trade, but I don't want to hammer on the rock too much.
Does anyone know how well they take "traditional" fragging by cutting the head off the stalk and cutting the head into pieces???? If they are really touchy I don't want to mess with the colony but if they handle it well I would like to try.

Smarsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never done it but they say you can just cut straight down the middle of the yuma.

I am not sure about cutting them off at the base.

Sandy

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done it. I took one of my orange yumas (Boy was I nervous) and I cut it right down the center. Both healed up well and are doing great. I attached one back to a rock and I let one sit in the sand. the one on the rock is doing well but the one on the sand is very small. They wont grow back big unless you attach it back to a rock

kenske

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have cut several yumas and floridas at the base and them divided it 4 ways. It seems like its the only way for me to get more. They do not split quick enough on their own.

As far as cutting them straight down the middle. It doesn't work for me. It would just re-attatch to the other half and become 1 again.

Zoanuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are currently having great success with doing this. We were worried about it but so far so good.

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently just cut up several of some "test" florida's in halfs and have had good success so far. I havent had the guts to do it to my 2 yuma's though.

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut a few of the Crazy Rainbow Yumas and all have been successful.

Just right down the middle like i do my florida's?

Do they stay attached to the rock they were originally on or do you have to re-secure them?

Also, Dustin, great stuff on your site! :)

gastone

I dig chicks with rics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Getting ready to hack my red yuma in half. I separated it from the LR this past weekend so it is currently un-attached. Any final words of wisdom before I cut away?

Garrett.

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cut pieces off the foot while its closed up.worked great for me and did not have a bunch of halfs in the tank either. the cut pieces grew right out

gastone

I dig chicks with rics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately I can't do that at the moment as it's unattached. Was going to go with bi-lateral instead of pedal laceration anyway... unless vice versa is the better way.

g.

cobraz

Zoo Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also take some sand/gravel put it into a bowl with a rock to weigh it down and wrap it in a piece of wedding vale material. The Ric or Yuma will settle down and adhere to a rock or gravel which then you can glue to the rock.

OP
OP
J

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you could not put a piece of wedding veil on because you are lazy and have the whole container of gravel and ric pieces scatter all over the floor when you trip on the salt bucket you were too lazy to put away. This particular method has not worked well for me but feel free to try the trip, drop and swear method of ric reproduction.

gastone

I dig chicks with rics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Or you could not put a piece of wedding veil on because you are lazy and have the whole container of gravel and ric pieces scatter all over the floor when you trip on the salt bucket you were too lazy to put away. This particular method has not worked well for me but feel free to try the trip, drop and swear method of ric reproduction.

Laziness is right up my alley. Do you think this will work for me too? Could I maybe trip over my equally lazy dog who refuses to get out of my way?

G.

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only word of advice is SEND ME A RED YUMA! lol
yeah but ive cut it down the middle and it works, but it has to be off the rock not still attached

OP
OP
J

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gastone,
You could certainly use a dog for this technique but IMO if your og is consistantly lazy you are wasting a golden opportunity. The next time you are cleaning your skimmer cup you could trip over the dog and spill the skimmate on the dog as I once did. My mentally challenged lab decided it was time to nuzzle my hand as I was turning to empty the skimmate. Whole cup hit her on the head. If you think skimmat smells nasty, then imagine what it must be like for a dog. She reacted less to getting sprayed by a skunk! She also never bothered me when I was working on the tank again.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back