Pros and cons of vita chem marine formula

LilysDad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won this at a raffle is it any good? Has anyone tried it? Will it raise nitrates and phosphates? Currently at nitrates 0.20ppm and phosphates 0.01ppm. My hammers aren’t doing to well in low range

IMG_0038.jpeg

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won this at a raffle is it any good? Has anyone tried it? Will it raise nitrates and phosphates? Currently at nitrates 0.20ppm and phosphates 0.01ppm. My hammers aren’t doing to well in low range

IMG_0038.jpeg

I don't think this will have any measurable effect on nitrates or phosphates, but I use it when I'm feeding a fish in QT, as well as a couple of drops in my display tank's food every once and a while.

It's basically just a multivitamin for your fish. Good stuff, though.

OP
OP
LilysDad

LilysDad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your hammers are starving to death because you have no nutrients. Vita Chem is great for fish and corals. I dose it once a week.
I’ve increased my feeding the past week (x3) and nutrients are still low I’ve order nitrates and phoshates. Hopefully they don’t arrive to late Do you know a diy solution method for nitrates and phosphates?

OP
OP
LilysDad

LilysDad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this will have any measurable effect on nitrates or phosphates, but I use it when I'm feeding a fish in QT, as well as a couple of drops in my display tank's food every once and a while.

It's basically just a multivitamin for your fish. Good stuff, though.
How often you use the drops on qt?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

IMG_0038.jpeg
It is a similar product like selcon and adds boost to immune system when added.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve increased my feeding the past week (x3) and nutrients are still low I’ve order nitrates and phoshates. Hopefully they don’t arrive to late Do you know a diy solution method for nitrates and phosphates?
When my tank was young I had to double dose neophos and neonitro for multiple months to get measurable numbers. More feeding is good. Coral foods like reef roids used sparingly can raise phosphate. Dry skim so your not pulling out to much nitrates. Dose the vitachem weekly. It's good stuff.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff used to be more necessary when pellets, flake and other foods were not as good. I doubt that it is necessary anymore, but it probably won't hurt.

Having those no3 and po4 levels in themselves is no issue - check my build thread for a few LPS at these levels. Feed your fish more if you think that they are nitrogen or phosphorous limited - fish waste can get more N and P to your corals than no3 and po4 can.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0038.jpeg

Adding it to the aquarium water mainly feeds heterotrophic bacteria. Adding it to food can work, but remember that it will rinse off just as fast as it soaks into the food.

Jay

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I soak dry food with it and let the coral eat whatever gets into the water column since corals should be able to uptake it. Seems like a win-win for the corals and fish.

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often you use the drops on qt?

"Most of the time" is probably the best answer. I use just normal frozen mysis in QT, so the hope is that it supplements some missing vitamins. I probably would not do this if I was using a higher grade food like PE mysis, or the food I make for my display (based on BRS' frozen reef chilli recipe).

I just like to do all I can to fatten them up while they go through my QT routine.

OP
OP
LilysDad

LilysDad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: got my nutrients back up and hammers and torches opened up except for 2. Will be doing coral dip since I saw flat worms in my torches and hammers. Other than that idk what could be cause all my other corals are doing great

Attachments

• IMG_0240.jpeg
    IMG_0240.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0243.jpeg
    IMG_0243.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 13

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back