Pros and Cons shallow reef tank vs average height tank.

jtcplumb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been searching online and watching you tube videos on both styles. Is a shallow tank easier and better to handle because of its shallow water access to bottom of tank. What are new reefers running these days ?? Also all in one tanks seem like they are popular is the innovative nano marine tank most desired ?? Was looking at their80 gallon version. I am very new to salt water hobby so I would like your feedback to steer mein te right direction. This set up will be going in my office where I have been running a 29 gallon biocube now.

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pro's
1. Look down effect for viewing .
2. Easy access to bottom of tank .
3. Lagoon style mimic .
4. Shallow water reef mimic .
5. If the tank is not aio, stand can be built taller for eye level seating view .
6. Non Aio taller stand gives options for taller protein skimmer , easier to access for mait .

Con's
1.Viewing from front is not that great unless stand is taller .
2. Rock structure is limited due to height
3. Lighting budget constraints . U still have to have enough spread to cover the tank and it's best to have units with controllable intensity .

Most AIO's nickel and dime u .For what they cost, it should be a plug n play with skimmer at the least .
I like the IM tanks but I don't like that they nickel and dime you to death for a full operational system. (- lights) .
Cadlights would be worth a look see and they offer free shipping on the SAIO now . (comes with skimmer )

OP
OP
jtcplumb

jtcplumb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks o much to reply. Sounds like what everyone more or less has to say about it.

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks o much to reply. Sounds like what everyone more or less has to say about it.

A 20 inch tall tank gives plenty of room for viewing n rock structure placement . IMHO shallow tanks are like a normal standard tank to me . I'm a short guy .
My last few tanks were all 20 inches , 18, 10 nano , 20 , 16 .. lol

tiomm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing about shallow tanks that don't come across in pictures is that they look a lot better in photos than in real life.
All that depth make for some really dramatic shots. We've all seen drool-worthy shallow tanks online.

But when you have one in front of you, the shallowness is really obvious and it just looks short - like there should be more height to it.

I was so in love with the shallow tanks I've seen like ReHypes archipelago and Schreiba's shallow ADA that I had one custom built for me.
But I will not go shallow again, unless for the fact that I will make it deeper than it is tall. It goes without saying that deep tanks are easier to aquascape.

If you however decide to go shallow, a tip is to create more height by adding rock above the waterline. Make some islands and let the tip of the rocks break the surface. Mangroves are also a good idea.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tank is only 12" high, but I had the stand made extra tall and I love the way it looks. It's also really easy to work in.

I don't think any aquarium type is better, it's just personal preference.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shallow would be good for me too being very short. However, I have always had 24" tall tanks, except my nanos and picos. I like the larger look and swim room. I guess you could do a 210g in shallow, but that would be a long tank. :)

Good and bads of both. What do you like the look of? I like the shallow tanks for shows and such to see down and goggle. However, at home, I like to look through the sides and view. This means better for taller tanks. JMO

YumaMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 33 gallon 48" wide by 12" deep by 12" height reef tank. One end has been converted into a filter chamber using cut acrylic sheets. The tank rests on a reinforced shelf in a "surround" design. It is at eye level. I very much enjoy this shallow tank because I keep mostly small polyp corals such as cyphastrea and leptoseris, and viewing their small features is easy in this tank. It is placed above a utility sink, so that doing water changes is easy. I can access any area of the tank easily, and that cannot be said about my 120 gallon reef tank: 48"X24"X20".

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I feel that a 20 inch deep tank is about the perfect compromise. Not too short to really restrict rock work or make the fish feel like they have to swim on the bottom of the tank all the time, but shallow enough to not make it a pain to clean, get decent light penetration or not having a bunch of depth that your fish don't really use. I do like the 20 Long tanks though. Great little starter tank IMHO.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH, just so you know, I would not go higher than a 24". Just too high for me unless it is floor to ceiling and I can dive into it. I would go longer rather than taller. 20" seems a good compromise.

Back