Protect bottom-glass from LS scape?

DiSo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Im gonna build a "big" LS piece in my new tank. LS has some sharp edges and IMO will put alot of pressure to the bottom glass. Is this a issue? Should i place some eggcrate between perhaps? Pexiglass?

Glass is 12mm (0,47 inch) and the LS piece will be around 40x40x40cm (16x16x16 inch)
Bottom is supported by foam and plywood 18mm (0,7 inch thick)

Thanks in advance!

20170215_203013950_iOS.jpg

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use plastic - acrylic, polycarbonate, etc.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/4" should be fine.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both materials are fine. If you are going with a no substrate bottom or might in the future I agree with @cromag08 put a little extra expense into it and use acrylic sheet 6mm. Very nice tank by the way.

OP
OP
DiSo

DiSo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both materials are fine. If you are going with a no substrate bottom or might in the future I agree with @cromag08 put a little extra expense into it and use acrylic sheet 6mm. Very nice tank by the way.

Thanks! Gonna use substrate so 4mm should be enough? cant get hold of 6mm that easy around here. What im most afraid of is if any of the formations will collapse and fall. Might say im also getting triggers so things will be moved around.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend anything....I've seen too many tanks be fine without add-ons like this that I can't imagine the bother and expense could really be worth much.

A plastic bottom won't save you from a collapse since that'll more likely take out a side panel.

If you truly have a worry about that, you need to re-stack your rock, or come up with a different solution to hold the stack together. (There are plenty of options out there.) A plastic bottom isn't the answer. Same answer for the triggers...it's a problem that needs to be solved before it happens.

(For what it's worth, you can get a tank made with a PVC bottom...no glass at all...seems to work fine.)

OP
OP
DiSo

DiSo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend anything....I've seen too many tanks be fine without add-ons like this that I can't imagine the bother and expense could really be worth much.

A plastic bottom won't save you from a collapse since that'll more likely take out a side panel.

If you truly have a worry about that, you need to re-stack your rock, or come up with a different solution to hold the stack together. (There are plenty of options out there.) A plastic bottom isn't the answer. Same answer for the triggers...it's a problem that needs to be solved before it happens.

(For what it's worth, you can get a tank made with a PVC bottom...no glass at all...seems to work fine.)

Thanks! Sounds reasonable and good points. I'm really not afraid of them falling (using acrylic rods), just paranoid [emoji15][emoji23]

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paranoia can be good cuz it can get you thinking of possibilities.

Just don't let your paranoia team up with fear and imagination! Like a mogwai you dunked in water and fed after midnight! ;) :D

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been placing large rocks directly on glass for 30 years without issue. With water in your tank you could drop your big rock from the surface and it wouldn't break the bottom. Don't do that of course! There's videos out there of people showing just how strong glass bottoms are. One guy stacks a ridiculous amount of rock creating very focused pressure on the glass with no breakage.

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a flapper disk on a hand grinder this will smooth the bottom of the rock. You don't need any craze expensive grinder wheel just a coarse sand paper flapper disk

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back