Upgrade time! IM EXT 100 or Red Sea Reefer G2+ 350.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The age-old question! And I am in need of some help.

This is my first post to R2R, so please excuse me if I've posted in the wrong place or if there is any etiquette I am missing!!!

I would love to hear from everyone about this choice - especially if you own or have experience with either models. If this was your decision, what would you choose?

The Black Friday sales have reeled me in, and I have been wanting to upgrade my IM Lagoon 25g for a long time. This upgrade will be my first "big-girl" tank. Since I'm in my (ahem, early) 30s, I honestly hope to have something to last me decades. I'm assured by both manufacturers that with proper care, that shouldn't be a problem.

I have a spreadsheet. And I have been researching this and agonizing for months. Basically the only piece of information that is missing is shipping costs for the Red Sea.

As it stands, I have priced out both systems and equipment and I have both basically the same price with the help of BF deals. So, price doesn't really matter here.

I'll list some of my personal pros and cons:

Innovative Marine EXT 100:
PROS
- More volume for almost the same footprint (just +5 inches width, which is nice)
- Thicker glass, more ruggedly built
- Nicer stand
- Much larger sump
- Better reputation
- Return pump included
- Leveling mat included

CONS
- Built better.. but it's HEAVY (ok, not really a con)
- No room in the cabinet, like really no room besides the sump itself!
- No leveling feet on stand
- Only 1 year warranty
- No room in sump for filter roller (IM tells me they are working on a filter roller design - but in the meantime some folks have made Klir models work)
- Not really a con but kind of: the thick glass means my current wavemakers MIGHT not work. If not, I'll be upgrading sooner planned! $$

Reefer G2+ 350
PROS
- Room in cabinet
- ATO included (I already have one, so not really a pro)
- Leveling feet on stand
- Better warranty (3 years - but still nothing in the long run)
- Room for filter roller
- I love the full Red Sea systems, gadgets, etc. It would look pretty sharp IMO.

CONS
- Less volume, compared to IM
- Less sump capacity
- Plywood stand. Probably more than fine, but APS appears better
- No leveling mat?!
- Less robust
- Issues with previous models
- Less than ideal reputation

I could go with either. The one thing that hangs on for me is the infamous Red Sea issues that so many have reported. My fear is that this tank just won't stand the test of time, but I also don't want that to be the deciding factor if it's just not true, especially with the G2.

Thanks so much in advance!! Looking forward to posting with my new tank build in the near future
IM. I have a red sea tank, I HATE IT. Looks like crap, the glass is always hazy no matter what I do and the tank fails scare the crap outta me and Im just waiting at this point for an issue with mine. I wouldnt buy a red sea tank again. I love all their gear but the glass is honestly just crap. My cheaper Aqueon has way better clarity than the red sea. Just my two cents!

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a person who has had both tanks, I think that the IM is a much better value. The stand is much better, you can always reach someone in customer service by phone vs email.
For the space issue in sump area, I went with a different sump. I put on a Trigger platinum 26 sump (love the integrated roller mat!).
Currently I have an IM 75int and above sump, and have never been more pleased with a tank/sump combo.

This is very reassuring, thank you! I'm just so hoping everything arrives safely and intact!!

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM. I have a red sea tank, I HATE IT. Looks like crap, the glass is always hazy no matter what I do and the tank fails scare the crap outta me and Im just waiting at this point for an issue with mine. I wouldnt buy a red sea tank again. I love all their gear but the glass is honestly just crap. My cheaper Aqueon has way better clarity than the red sea. Just my two cents!

Noted!! Sorry to hear you're having trouble, that sucks! It definitely seems like IM is the preferred!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hhhmmm....which companies tanks are the best selling reef systems in the world? Why are they the best and most sold world wide? How many 100s of thousands currently in service?

And note- I have nothing negative to say about the other company either. Great product and customer service also.

Buy once, cry once....I don't think you would be disappointed with either choice.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is interesting. I have the red sea 350g2 and the glass is crystal clear. Quite possibly the clearest of any tank i have ever seen. Are you cleaning the salt off the outside?

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hhhmmm....which companies tanks are the best selling reef systems in the world? Why are they the best and most sold world wide? How many 100s of thousands currently in service?

And note- I have nothing negative to say about the other company either. Great product and customer service also.

Buy once, cry once....I don't think you would be disappointed with either choice.

Buy once, cry once. This should have been the name of my tank build thread! Words to live by in this hobby for sure, and have experienced first-hand several times!

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned several IM tanks in the last few years. I also own a reefer 625 G2. I've kept both of them in the same room as well. The clarity of the red sea is far superior to that of the IMs. I like both but the RS just stands out to me. Say what you want but there absolutely was an issue with RS seams. In my opinion they went above and beyond to address the issues and replace a lot of tanks no questions asked. Folks seem to forget that part. They went back and vastly improved their tanks since then as well. The armour seams are nice and I don't think I would own a tank without them now. The aluminum APS stands are nice but I had an IM SR80 and while cleaning the glass the whole stand would sway a bit. They won't rust or warp but I certainly was concerned with the whole thing just folding over one day. They are held.together by half turn cam locks like Ikea furniture. The G2s come with a 5 year warranty as well at no extra cost.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting. I have the red sea 350g2 and the glass is crystal clear. Quite possibly the clearest of any tank i have ever seen. Are you cleaning the salt off the outside?
Exactly, it is crystal clear and has nothing to do with "haze" developing on the glass. Everyone has to scrape their glass weekly as part of normal maintenance. If you have hazy water then your tank parameters are off.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy once, cry once. This should have been the name of my tank build thread! Words to live by in this hobby for sure, and have experienced first-hand several times!
It's ok, irs good you are taking your time now and doing diligent research.

Regg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the IM 170 and love it. But I have had redsea tanks and currently have another redsea 200G2. i think the glass quality itself is better on redsea/waterbox but built and piece of mind the IM wins.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be prepared when this thing shows up it’s in a plywood crate. I don’t know if I would trust a hand truck putting the pressure on the bottom may damage it. If you can get the delivery company to roll it in the garage that would be clutch for you. However they’re not required to really go any further than your side walk which I found out when mine was delivered.

The tank itself looks amazing. Super clear and sturdy. You’ll love the 20inch height for cleaning and the semi shallow look. I got some 4 wheel dolly’s from Home Depot and sat the tank on them to move it around the house before setting it up.

As you know the tank is heavy! Took two strong people to move it (was a struggle as we had far to walk)

IM assured me shimming the stand to make it level wouldn’t cause the stand to fail. I ended up using extra rubber pads I had on the front feet to level my tank.

Attachments

• IMG_0244.jpeg
    IMG_0244.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 71

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the tracking notification! The IM EXT 100 Complete Reef System is on its way!

Lots of people doing the IM200, I see!! I need to check out your builds!

The feedback seems unanimous. I'm.. surprised, but also not. In some way I may have already known the answer to my question, but wanted to prompt you guys to see if there was still a case of RS vs IM that I might be missing.

I did like the idea of having an entire Red Sea system, the tank, pump, skimmer, roller mat. Looks cool, lol!₩

But in the end my gut really told me the IM was the right decision for me.

My boyfriend and I are just trying to figure out how to move this thing into the house and down some stairs.

I reached out to IM and waiting to hear back. My questions to them:

1. I'm going to try to get it delivered into the garage (attached, unheated); is it OK to stay here for a few hours? Days? Or does it need to get into the house urgently. (Surely they are shipped on trucks that aren't heated?!). I'm in Atlantic Canada and winter is here!

2. Can we use a hand truck? Might need to use plywood on the bottom and back? Safe to have the tank on its end/side while moving?

It's... 300 lbs.
So cool!.. BTW could you take some close up pics of the seams once you have the tank. Meanwhile I will try to contact IM and ask them too. Maybe it's possible to silicone in some triangle glass rods on the inside to act as seam protection.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is finally on the stand and filled with RO. I shimmed the front since it was 1/8" over 36" front to back. It's the 112 EXT. for the math...It has 84.38 gallons of water (703lbs) till the water hits the overflow. To the Euro brace would add another 9 gallons. I'm assuming they must have calculated in the sump for water volume? I don't think there's that much gallonage in the plumbing.

One thing I did when assembling the stand was to put a few drops of locktite in the cams as an extra caution.

I would say the plumbing is different than the YouTube video they posted of assembly. The two drains into the sump from the primary and secondary are not hoses but pipes. The other thing was the bulk heads two them (6" part) are in the stand and not up near the overflow box. It's better though since it wasn't much of a fuss getting it in place.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep every day

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be prepared when this thing shows up it’s in a plywood crate. I don’t know if I would trust a hand truck putting the pressure on the bottom may damage it. If you can get the delivery company to roll it in the garage that would be clutch for you. However they’re not required to really go any further than your side walk which I found out when mine was delivered.

The tank itself looks amazing. Super clear and sturdy. You’ll love the 20inch height for cleaning and the semi shallow look. I got some 4 wheel dolly’s from Home Depot and sat the tank on them to move it around the house before setting it up.

As you know the tank is heavy! Took two strong people to move it (was a struggle as we had far to walk)

IM assured me shimming the stand to make it level wouldn’t cause the stand to fail. I ended up using extra rubber pads I had on the front feet to level my tank.

I see you have the EXT 100 as well?! This is the info I need! And I'll be checking out your build too :smiling-face:

I'll def be checking with them if they could very kindly just move it to the garage (we have a short, flat driveway... it would be a short distance!).

I was told by the store owner that I need to open the crate and inspect the tank before signing for the delivery. I was told I'm going to need to have my tools handy.

OMG only two people?!? You know this things is 300 lbs??!!

IM got back to me and said this (for anyone else seeing this who might be wondering):

"Hi Jenna,

The silicone is rated for -76 degrees F.

Please use all necessary people and moving equipment to safely move the aquarium and accessories into your residence."

When I asked about having the tank in the garage (they said definitely NOT outside), and when I asked if it was OK to use a hand truck and maybe employ plywood to support the back and end on the hand truck/dolly.

Hoping for the best while I wait for my next shipping notification!

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So cool!.. BTW could you take some close up pics of the seams once you have the tank. Meanwhile I will try to contact IM and ask them too. Maybe it's possible to silicone in some triangle glass rods on the inside to act as seam protection.

I will! That would be interesting to see. If it helps, I might be interested in this too. I was kind of interested to see (close up) what they did for the G2..

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is finally on the stand and filled with RO. I shimmed the front since it was 1/8" over 36" front to back. It's the 112 EXT. for the math...It has 84.38 gallons of water (703lbs) till the water hits the overflow. To the Euro brace would add another 9 gallons. I'm assuming they must have calculated in the sump for water volume? I don't think there's that much gallonage in the plumbing.

One thing I did when assembling the stand was to put a few drops of locktite in the cams as an extra caution.

I would say the plumbing is different than the YouTube video they posted of assembly. The two drains into the sump from the primary and secondary are not hoses but pipes. The other thing was the bulk heads two them (6" part) are in the stand and not up near the overflow box. It's better though since it wasn't much of a fuss getting it in place.

Oh gosh this is my fear. I wish they could have incorporated levelling feet! But, as another user said, shimming should be totally fine! I guess I need to be prepared for that.

Up on the stand! EXCITING TIMES. It'll be a while for me yet!

I took a quick look the volume, too, for the EXT 100. The only way to know will be to measure as the water goes in (which will be a bit of a pain, but it's one-and-done, and really good to know). The tank dimensions tell me the volume of the aquarium should be around 95 gallons (on the site it says approximately 100 gallons for the tank). And then it says 57 gallons for sump capacity, so I've just been saying it's a 150 gallon system, but we will certainly see about that; and this is for water displacement from rock/sand/equipment, which I assumed is what they did too?? You're getting ~85 gallons in the tank when the site says 112 gallons? Sheesh. I kind of want to ask them now lol, that seems like quite a difference. We've got to be missing something.

No issues getting your water levels and the return up and running? I've never used a sump, so this will be fun.

ALSO. I could be wrong about the lid. It almost looks like all of the INT models have a lid but the EXT doesn't?!? If that's the case I will be so sad, and confused lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back