Upgrade time! IM EXT 100 or Red Sea Reefer G2+ 350.

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh gosh this is my fear. I wish they could have incorporated levelling feet! But, as another user said, shimming should be totally fine! I guess I need to be prepared for that.

Up on the stand! EXCITING TIMES. It'll be a while for me yet!

I took a quick look the volume, too, for the EXT 100. The only way to know will be to measure as the water goes in (which will be a bit of a pain, but it's one-and-done, and really good to know). The tank dimensions tell me the volume of the aquarium should be around 95 gallons (on the site it says approximately 100 gallons for the tank). And then it says 57 gallons for sump capacity, so I've just been saying it's a 150 gallon system, but we will certainly see about that; and this is for water displacement from rock/sand/equipment, which I assumed is what they did too?? You're getting ~85 gallons in the tank when the site says 112 gallons? Sheesh. I kind of want to ask them now lol, that seems like quite a difference. We've got to be missing something.

No issues getting your water levels and the return up and running? I've never used a sump, so this will be fun.

ALSO. I could be wrong about the lid. It almost looks like all of the INT models have a lid but the EXT doesn't?!? If that's the case I will be so sad, and confused lol.
ext's don't have lids. I think all manufacturers label tanks to hold more water than they actually do. you won't be disappointed with IM, I have EXT 75 and love it.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea no lids on ext..also is the 100 ,30" wide? Measure your door frames it was fun getting a 200 int that weighs double that into a door an on to the stand

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh gosh this is my fear. I wish they could have incorporated levelling feet! But, as another user said, shimming should be totally fine! I guess I need to be prepared for that.

Up on the stand! EXCITING TIMES. It'll be a while for me yet!

I took a quick look the volume, too, for the EXT 100. The only way to know will be to measure as the water goes in (which will be a bit of a pain, but it's one-and-done, and really good to know). The tank dimensions tell me the volume of the aquarium should be around 95 gallons (on the site it says approximately 100 gallons for the tank). And then it says 57 gallons for sump capacity, so I've just been saying it's a 150 gallon system, but we will certainly see about that; and this is for water displacement from rock/sand/equipment, which I assumed is what they did too?? You're getting ~85 gallons in the tank when the site says 112 gallons? Sheesh. I kind of want to ask them now lol, that seems like quite a difference. We've got to be missing something.

No issues getting your water levels and the return up and running? I've never used a sump, so this will be fun.

ALSO. I could be wrong about the lid. It almost looks like all of the INT models have a lid but the EXT doesn't?!? If that's the case I will be so sad, and confused lol.
if you call IM they will tell you for sure about the lid. If you know the exact interior dimensions and the one up to the overflow box, you can just calculate the gallons. The internet is plastered with calculator engines.

I have not turned the pumps on yet. only filled with water yesterday. Need to add skimmer hoses then fill the sump (or the tank till it overflows into it) and salt it.

due to the heigh, euro brace and size, it's hard to get an arm in a thoroughly wipe it down on the stand. So there is some dust and left over silicone beads. I think I am going to cut a floss sheet to go over the sock holes to collect anything from going through the pumps and filter it out. Will place the socks later.

The tank seams I think look fine. I don't think you need to be worried about adding extra.

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had exact same debate. I have an IM 20 now and was going to upgrade to RS / WB / IM 100+.

Went with 100 INT - arrives next week, so we’ll probably be building ours in parallel.

Overall, I think IM is best quality. The sump is huge. Which is nice from a total water capacity standpoint and flexibility. The downside is that you’ll probably need a separate area to keep your stuff. At least that is what I started doing (built an ikea cabinet and putting and adaptive reef controller board in there.)

The other downside to the IM sump is not a lot of room for a roller mat. I am planning to put a Klir 4 in there and test it out. We will see.

Overall the stand appears to be rock solid. Tank is really well built, and is euro braced, and huge sump. The Red Sea equivalent would be the S class which is like 2k more than the IM (S class has some other really nice features though, so it wasn’t apples to apples comparison).

Good luck!

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ext's don't have lids. I think all manufacturers label tanks to hold more water than they actually do. you won't be disappointed with IM, I have EXT 75 and love it.

Yea no lids on ext..also is the 100 ,30" wide? Measure your door frames it was fun getting a 200 int that weighs double that into a door an on to the stand

That's so disappointing!! I wonder what their reason is to not provide the EXTs with lids, but do with the INTs.

It's 47.3" x 23.6" x 19.7", thank goodness. The weight of it is enough to deal with! They are just so heavy lol it blows my mind.

Tank is coming this morning!

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you call IM they will tell you for sure about the lid. If you know the exact interior dimensions and the one up to the overflow box, you can just calculate the gallons. The internet is plastered with calculator engines.

I have not turned the pumps on yet. only filled with water yesterday. Need to add skimmer hoses then fill the sump (or the tank till it overflows into it) and salt it.

due to the heigh, euro brace and size, it's hard to get an arm in a thoroughly wipe it down on the stand. So there is some dust and left over silicone beads. I think I am going to cut a floss sheet to go over the sock holes to collect anything from going through the pumps and filter it out. Will place the socks later.

The tank seams I think look fine. I don't think you need to be worried about adding extra.

Tank is on its way here right now! I just got the call. I asked about taking the time to "crack" open the lid to take a look at the glass tank, and at some point said to the guys these things are "built like tanks." You know, the ol' nerves going and just verbal diarrhea. They had a few laughs over the phone at my very UNintentional puns.

Same - I was gonna run filter floss over the sock/media cup holes too for at least the first while!

I took a look at some videos of how to open the crate, too. Shouldn't be nearly as bad as I thought.. just a flathead to pry up the tabs and the cover should come right off!

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest thing is figuring out light options. So far it seems the Radion brackets with rail for like $200 or hang it. Otherwise you’d need 2 mounts to drill into the back support stands.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I asked about having the tank in the garage (they said definitely NOT outside), and when I asked if it was OK to use a hand truck and maybe employ plywood to support the back and end on the hand truck/dolly.
Nothing wrong with being cautious but I disagree about using a hand truck. I have a 6ft 180g in our living room that is plumbed to 6ft 125g sump in the basement. The 125 was moved all the way down the basement steps and the 180 up 3 steps into the house. Both were moved with a hand truck and nothing but towels as padding and a strap to secure the tank to the dolly. This was done by myself with no help so it is definately possible to move a tank with a hand truck without causing damage.

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
they go by outside dimentions. my 120 is 48x24x24 divided by 231=119.6 gallons. by inside dimentions and you dont fill to the top its 100 gallons and the sump is only filled halfway.
you dont have measure volume, do it by measurements.when your ready for rock put a piece of tape at water line, put your rock in and measure the differance, minus that from your true total volume

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with being cautious but I disagree about using a hand truck. I have a 6ft 180g in our living room that is plumbed to 6ft 125g sump in the basement. The 125 was moved all the way down the basement steps and the 180 up 3 steps into the house. Both were moved with a hand truck and nothing but towels as padding and a strap to secure the tank to the dolly. This was done by myself with no help so it is definately possible to move a tank with a hand truck without causing damage.

I didn't finish my sentence and I'm still trying to figure out how to edit replies lol. The IM people said to use any amount of people and whatever equipment needed to safely get the tank in the house... so by that it sounds like he said it was fine to use the hand truck.

You used the hand truck (no need for plywood or other support?) and all good?! That is incredible that you moved those tanks solo, kudos!!! Happy to hear the hand truck is an option because otherwise... it'd be tough.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't finish my sentence and I'm still trying to figure out how to edit replies lol. The IM people said to use any amount of people and whatever equipment needed to safely get the tank in the house... so by that it sounds like he said it was fine to use the hand truck.

You used the hand truck (no need for plywood or other support?) and all good?! That is incredible that you moved those tanks solo, kudos!!! Happy to hear the hand truck is an option because otherwise... it'd be tough.
They aren't going to give you exact specific instructions of how to move something so large and fragile because it would open them up to liability if that method failed for whatever reason.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just padded the bottom and back with folded towels then used a hold down strap to secure to the dolly. Tanks were placed vertically on the dolly of course. A helper would have been nice but I live in a rural area and have no friends so I have to get creative. Well I really do have 3 friends but two are dogs and the 3rd is my Gal and she hurt her back helping me move a tank once so it's just me now lol

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren't going to give you exact specific instructions of how to move something so large and fragile because it would open them up to liability if that method failed for whatever reason.

That's 100% what I found. I thought they were missing the questions in my email (asking about storage in the garage and looking for recommendations for moving it), but when I emailed them back they would entirely dodge my questions and send me short answers that had nothing to do with what I was asking.

I wondered if they were deliberating evading my questions, for reasons you said, and I get it. It would be nice to be able to get that info from them but, it is what it is!

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just padded the bottom and back with folded towels then used a hold down strap to secure to the dolly. Tanks were placed vertically on the dolly of course. A helper would have been nice but I live in a rural area and have no friends so I have to get creative. Well I really do have 3 friends but two are dogs and the 3rd is my Gal and she hurt her back helping me move a tank once so it's just me now lol

Nice looking dogs!! I have 3 dogs myself and they definitely do not help :smiling-face:

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is on its way here right now! I just got the call. I asked about taking the time to "crack" open the lid to take a look at the glass tank, and at some point said to the guys these things are "built like tanks." You know, the ol' nerves going and just verbal diarrhea. They had a few laughs over the phone at my very UNintentional puns.

Same - I was gonna run filter floss over the sock/media cup holes too for at least the first while!

I took a look at some videos of how to open the crate, too. Shouldn't be nearly as bad as I thought.. just a flathead to pry up the tabs and the cover should come right off!
let us know how long it took you to uncrate it. Even after I pried up the prongs, the space they inserted into was so narrow I had to flatten them with pliers and a hammer to get them to pull out.

post pictures too.

HD sells a pack of plastic shims for a few $. Have those on hand to finish the leveling.

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let us know how long it took you to uncrate it. Even after I pried up the prongs, the space they inserted into was so narrow I had to flatten them with pliers and a hammer to get them to pull out.

post pictures too.

HD sells a pack of plastic shims for a few $. Have those on hand to finish the leveling.

I am so sorry the crate gave you such a hard time! I was expecting the same, but the tabs came up fine over here!

The hardest part was actually trying to get the driver to let me check it out. He was VERY unhappy when I asked if I can take a look, and said he would NOT be waiting around, and that I can tell the manufacturer and the store owner that it looks fine on the outside and it's not his job to wait around and uncrate something.

We got to talking and he softened up a little. We got the top off and took a look. Lol.

Everything was perfectly intact. I am going to take this over to my build thread and update it! I took some pics, I will get them posted shortly :)

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry the crate gave you such a hard time! I was expecting the same, but the tabs came up fine over here!

The hardest part was actually trying to get the driver to let me check it out. He was VERY unhappy when I asked if I can take a look, and said he would NOT be waiting around, and that I can tell the manufacturer and the store owner that it looks fine on the outside and it's not his job to wait around and uncrate something.

We got to talking and he softened up a little. We got the top off and took a look. Lol.

Everything was perfectly intact. I am going to take this over to my build thread and update it! I took some pics, I will get them posted shortly :)

IM told me they have to wait at least 15 minutes. Or refuse to sign and would be a bigger hassle for them to return it. I guess could always have the driver sign that he wouldn't wait for you to inspect interior but exterior was intact? Guess it's hit or miss with the drivers. good luck with it

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clear view lids will make you a custom lid I think it was like 130ish dollars

I'll look at my options! When I quickly priced a custom lid with a few different companies, they all came out to around $500 CAD, which I honestly kind of expected.

I'll go through a little more carefully but may try my hand at the IM SafeScreen DIY mesh lid. I've done it before and it was only a mild disaster because I didn't have the right tools at the time...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%

Back