Protecting the wall behind the tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter TreyC2010
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

TreyC2010

But baby, the fish need it....
View Badges
Joined
Jun 18, 2015
Messages
807
Reaction score
534
Location
Mississippi
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that splashing is the first thing you should fix to eliminate making a mess but for the sake of ideas, what are some of the things you can do to protect your wall? Wood veneer the back of the stand and cut holes for pvc is an idea but the wood may be a problem, I think, over time. I also wondered if maybe acrylic or glass could be cut the same size as the tank/stand and put on the wall somehow. Not sure what that would look like but it would wipe off easy.
 
My tank is built in to the house and is drywalled above and below inside and out. I covered the inside walls with FRP above the tank in the light soffit and below the tank to protect the drywall. It makes for a very sanitary clean look and is 100% water resistant and washable. It's available from places like Home Depot and Lowes in 4'x8' sheets and is very easy to install. You don't need glue. You can screw it to the walls or in my case, I used FRP installation pins to hold it to my walls. As a further layer of protection, I used a pond liner below the tank to insure that even if there was a leak, the liner would prevent the water from making out below the tank. The liner covers the floor and is run up the wall several inches and held in place by the FRP.

image_zpszmp0h2qu.jpg



image_zpsb1dc0659.jpg
 
Here's a video that was shot back in Jan of 2011 when I upgraded my light rack and made my initial switch to LED's. This particular part (part 3 of 6 total parts) covers the installation of the FRP above my tank. The other parts cover the build of my aluminum light rack, the demolition of the older wood light rack and the installation of my old Reef Tech LED's. It's been over 5 years since I installed the FRP and the walls are still perfect to this day. I did run beads of silicone over the seams to insure that moisture didn't get behind the FRP.

 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new