Protein Skimmer Break in

My reef Octopus Int took 3 weeks to break in. I ran a line from the skimmer cup drain to a gallon jug for the overflow and just let it run like that for a while. Eventually it quit overflowing and is running like normal. I was almost to the point that I was gonna get rid of it and then it started working.
 
I have a Reef Octopus in my sump right now. The tank is still cycling so there's not really anything for the skimmer to skim, I just wanted to get it up and running. I did follow the directions and leave it wide open for a few days or a week or something but now I've got it set so the bubbles are rising up to a few inches from the top and anything that overflows just drains right back into the sump.
This is my first saltwater tank, so once I have some live stock, I'll figure out how to tune it.
 
Get yourself a bottle of bacteria and pour some into skimmer. See if the bubbles slow down and help get skim on surface of the inside of skimmer
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 21.9%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new