Protein Skimmer for 120

Bugsy_Barboza

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 25, 2015
Messages
290
Reaction score
165
Location
37207
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that Skimz and, since they upgrade the pump, I really like it. The new gen pump works really well and has been in place in my tank for about a year now. Easy to take apart and clean, near silent running, and pulls some sludge.
 
I've been looking at the Octopus skimmers, too, for my 125. The last skimmer I had more than 10 years ago was a Berlin airlift style, so I have no practical experience with newer style skimmers. I'm confused about how the in-sump skimmers work with the valve on the outlet. I understand the valve is used to control flow/level, but does one return that water to the same area of the sump where the skimmer resides or do you plumb it to the adjacent compartment?

I've looked online for the operating instructions, but I haven't had any luck finding a manual.
 
I
I've been looking at the Octopus skimmers, too, for my 125. The last skimmer I had more than 10 years ago was a Berlin airlift style, so I have no practical experience with newer style skimmers. I'm confused about how the in-sump skimmers work with the valve on the outlet. I understand the valve is used to control flow/level, but does one return that water to the same area of the sump where the skimmer resides or do you plumb it to the adjacent compartment?

I've looked online for the operating instructions, but I haven't had any luck finding a manual.
had a reef octopus 150int. I really liked it and most likely will go that direction. But there rather simple just get the water level correct & it's a breeze.
 
And to answer your ? You just put it in the area of the sump you please, if skimmer calls for 7-10in of water most will have a water line on the skimmer where you water level should be. If you need to raise the skimmer to achieve that position (most likely) cut egg crate to size the foot of the skimmer and stack as many pieces of crate you need to raise it. There is no adoption plumbing to another compartment. You'll just plug it in and dial it in to achieve your desired skim mate
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new