Protein skimmer for bio cube

Chris33027

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a new protein skimmer for the bio cube I have right now is IceCap K1-Nano Protein Skimmer anything better out there

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Tunze skimmers in my AIO tanks, although I’m not sure which model, if any fits in a bio cube.

I will say that none of the compact AIO skimmers work as well as full size “in sump“ models. You may just be spending money to switch from one not so great skimmer to another.

What is the issue with the Icecap? Most of these types of skimmers can be dialed in eventually. They also almost require an ATO because all can be finicky about water levels. If you dont have an ATO, I would recommend spending your money on that first, then give the Icecap Skimmer another try.

If you are having something going on not related to performance, like it’s too noisy or having mechanical issues, I would recommend you reach out to BRS and see if Tunze makes a model that fits. I have a 9001 in my NUVO 20. It’s quiet and has been running well for over a year after some work to dial it in properly.

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We have 2 tunze 9004DC and seems to work very well, nothing to really compare it to but does seem to catch some nasty stuff. Getting the dial right has proved to be hit or miss

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed 100% about the ATO.

If you end up taking the canopy off a Aquamaxx WS1 fits perfectly in the middle chamber and is a beast.

Reefer Optima

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to hear about the Aquamaxx WS1, I just ordered one for my tank but it will be in sump, was going to get the FC80 but everyone said it would be overkill for my ~40 gal system.

Aquamaxx does make some hang on the back protein skimmers but probably wouldn't work with the canopy on.

Slawman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a matched Deltec on my 2 foot cube and it worked very well. In fact I still have it as a backup or for use in a quarantine setup. Downside is they are not cheap.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back