Protein skimmer help please?

calebsmith7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I’m going to get a fluval five gallon reef tank to hopefully start a lively saltwater aquarium. I’ve recently read that I need a protein skimmer but I don’t know which one to buy. Does anyone have a suggestion for which one would go well with this small tank?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, for a 5-gallon tank I wouldn't bother with a protein skimmer. I'd get an InTank media basket as an upgrade, run filter floss in the top, ChemiPure Blue nano packets in the middle and some bio media in the bottom. Just change the filter floss out weekly (at a minimum).

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I’m going to get a fluval five gallon reef tank to hopefully start a lively saltwater aquarium. I’ve recently read that I need a protein skimmer but I don’t know which one to buy. Does anyone have a suggestion for which one would go well with this small tank?
I'm no expert on nano tanks but generally nutrients are managed with water changes and additions to the HoB filter.

OP
OP
calebsmith7

calebsmith7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, for a 5-gallon tank I wouldn't bother with a protein skimmer. I'd get an InTank media basket as an upgrade, run filter floss in the top, ChemiPure Blue nano packets in the middle and some bio media in the bottom. Just change the filter floss out weekly (at a minimum).
So with the intank media basket, does it just hang on the side or something

OU812Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same tank the skimmer I was going to go with is this one

QQ1 Hang-On External Nano Skimmer - Bubble Magus​

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I buy that and the things to go inside of it, it will be better filtration and help with what a protein skimmer normally does?
Yes, the InTank media basket is a far superior filtration upgrade compared to the stock tank. Filter floss is dirt cheap to replace (simply toss every week) and ChemiPure Blue nano packets are good for 1-2 months.

OP
OP
calebsmith7

calebsmith7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the InTank media basket is a far superior filtration upgrade compared to the stock tank. Filter floss is dirt cheap to replace (simply toss every week) and ChemiPure Blue nano packets are good for 1-2 months.
Alright, I have one last question about this, so if I bought a long roll of it, how much should I put in the filter every week?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I have one last question about this, so if I bought a long roll of it, how much should I put in the filter every week?
It's like pillow stuffing. You just rip a piece off that fits

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It replaces the stock filtration (which is basically that black sponge).
Dude... I love the big black sponge... But... you have to respect the sponge... give her a good wringing once a week in your water change water to make her feel fresh as a daisy...

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude... I love the big black sponge... But... you have to respect the sponge... give her a good wringing once a week in your water change water to make her feel fresh as a daisy...
The sponge is fine, but a proper media basket with filter floss, carbon and bio media is far superior.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back