Protein skimmer help!!

Jaybeastin

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 10, 2021
Messages
649
Reaction score
299
Location
94203
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used protein skimmer and it’s been running like this for a whole week. Non stop overflowing. It’s a bubble magus curve 5. It’s properly leveled and I tried every nob adjustments.

My tank is a 90g and about 3 months old

Please help!

IMG_5080.jpeg
 
If it is on its lowest settings and still overflowing then you need to raise the skimmer or lower the water level where it is sitting.
 
If I was in your situation. I will try 2 things:

1. (if the water level is properly adjusted) let the skimmer skim out all of the bubbles. You just gotta empty the cup a few times until you reach the sweet spot. Anymore than that could be real skimmer issue.

2. Try to find something to put under the skimmer to act as a platform to raise the skimmer height vs water level. Just to make sure that the water level in the sump is not too high. Then wait a bit and see.

When I make the skimmer water level adjustment. I would turn it on a few seconds and see where the highest point of the water level within the skimmer's chamber is. And will try to higher/lower it to the neck. I hope this makes sense :)

Anyone have any better suggestion please chime in.

PS. my apologies you already know this. But when you turn off the main pump for feeding/maintenance it will naturally raise the water level in the sump and always cause this overflow thing.
 
Here’s an update, I’m taking your guys advices. Once it fill up , I will keep emptying it
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5081.jpeg
    IMG_5081.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5082.jpeg
    IMG_5082.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 76

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 35 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new