Protein skimmer help

KatSea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is the first time I've had a protein skimmer like this and I can't tell if I'm stupid or somethings wrong. So I got this skimmer for decent price (I just needed something to get me by till I can afford a new one).

It's a vertex aquaristik protein skimmer and the guy didn't have the original pump for it so he had it set up on a wayne green series pump. After getting everything set up I for the life of me can't get it to work "properly". It's a little more than half way filled with water and won't bubble no mater how far I open it up.

Any suggestions or help heres a picture of the set up 14987860405071842791014.jpg 14987860672901541525043.jpg

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm unfamiliar with that pump, but it doesn't seem to have a venturi connection for the air intake (hence the lack of bubbles). Did a piece come withit that connects to the intake and has a little connection for an airhose?

OP
OP
KatSea

KatSea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm unfamiliar with that pump, but it doesn't seem to have a venturi connection for the air intake (hence the lack of bubbles). Did a piece come withit that connects to the intake and has a little connection for an airhose?

It has an air hose at the tip of the pipe but it doesn't seem to work... Im really thinking about hooking up an old bubbler to it lol

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has an air hose at the tip of the pipe but it doesn't seem to work... Im really thinking about hooking up an old bubbler to it lol
The hose needs to be connected to the pump itself.

OP
OP
KatSea

KatSea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I leave for Florida in a couple of days and I have to order all stuff online. Any other quick fix of a solution till I get back??

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I leave for Florida in a couple of days and I have to order all stuff online. Any other quick fix of a solution till I get back??
If you could somehow secure an air line by the intake you might be able to pull some air through it. Test it by just holding the tubing next to it and see if it works.

OP
OP
KatSea

KatSea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you could somehow secure an air line by the intake you might be able to pull some air through it. Test it by just holding the tubing next to it and see if it works.

Thanks. I just remembered I have an old skimmer from my old tank that's held together with glue and a prayer if anything I can just use it...even though I really don't want to

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be cautious of making any major changes to your system before you leave though. Unless you're leaving it in the hands of an experienced reefer who would know what to do if it goes wrong.

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I just remembered I have an old skimmer from my old tank that's held together with glue and a prayer if anything I can just use it...even though I really don't want to
Could you use the pump from that skimmer? If it works, it has a venturi. If it has a venturi, you're far better off using that one then the one you're currently using.

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha jokes on her I don't have any coral! Ha...ha...*sobs*

Also Im going to switch out pumps and see what I can do
All in good time!! Keep us updated. Interested in how this works out :)

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 26 50.0%
  • Full frame

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 21 40.4%
  • All of the above

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back