Protein skimmer issues

rmilyard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a used AquaMaxx CONES HOB skimmer. I haven't been able to get it working right. When turned to lowest settings I will overflow cup in secs. If someone in West Valley bored and might be able to help out let me know.

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this same issue with a completely different skimmer but I added a valve on the air intake line so I could dial down the flow at lot. Eventually it settled down and works well now.

OP
OP
R

rmilyard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here some

IMG_1867.JPEG IMG_1868.JPEG

OP
OP
R

rmilyard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been giving me issues. I am now 5 day into cycling this tank and would like to get it running. Also working on getting Reef-Pi going. So far that is working out pretty good.

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both suggestions above are correct. If the skimmer is overflowing you need to:
1.lower the internal water level ( I.e. raise the skimmer body)
Or
2. Restrict the airflow ( which will also lower the internal water level)
Or
3. Restrict the pump flow

HTH

OP
OP
R

rmilyard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both suggestions above are correct. If the skimmer is overflowing you need to:
1.lower the internal water level ( I.e. raise the skimmer body)
Or
2. Restrict the airflow ( which will also lower the internal water level)
Or
3. Restrict the pump flow

HTH
Thanks. It’s HOB so can’t change skimmer body. I guess need add air valve or something.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture of it as a whole, preferably the body and any adjustments that are on the skimmer.

I may not get what hockey and Tom are explaining. When I restrict the air inlet the water level raises inside the skimmer. You can simply place your finger over the air inlet and watch the bubbles stop and the water level rise.

Me being a visual person, I need to see what your working with. With it being a hang of back increasing/decreasing head pressure isn't an option. But there might be an easy solution with seeing a picture of it.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lots of skimmers will tend to overflow when newly setup, especially on a new tank too.
My HOB Aquamaxx skimmer took weeks to settle down and start skimming properly.

Typically, you want to raise the cup up as high as it will go, set the overflow tube to overflow back into the skimmer body and let it go until it settles down. Once it settles down, you can lower the cup and start to fine tune between wet/dry skimming.

Those HOB ConeS are beasts. Once you get it dialed in, you should be happy.

OP
OP
R

rmilyard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture of it as a whole, preferably the body and any adjustments that are on the skimmer.

I may not get what hockey and Tom are explaining. When I restrict the air inlet the water level raises inside the skimmer. You can simply place your finger over the air inlet and watch the bubbles stop and the water level rise.

Me being a visual person, I need to see what your working with. With it being a hang of back increasing/decreasing head pressure isn't an option. But there might be an easy solution with seeing a picture of it.
Can't get good pics of it on tank. I did find these. The only adjustment is on the ring. I have it all the way to C (Closed)

Skimmer.jpg ring.jpg

OP
OP
R

rmilyard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lots of skimmers will tend to overflow when newly setup, especially on a new tank too.
My HOB Aquamaxx skimmer took weeks to settle down and start skimming properly.

Typically, you want to raise the cup up as high as it will go, set the overflow tube to overflow back into the skimmer body and let it go until it settles down. Once it settles down, you can lower the cup and start to fine tune between wet/dry skimming.

Those HOB ConeS are beasts. Once you get it dialed in, you should be happy.
It was a used skimmer. I have it all the way down. It will overflow in secs. At this point it is unsaleable and not sure what I can do with it.

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know much about that skimmer but is the yellow tube the air intake? If so you could ad a valve to it. That’s what I did on my curve 5.

OP
OP
R

rmilyard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know much about that skimmer but is the yellow tube the air intake? If so you could ad a valve to it. That’s what I did on my curve 5.
Yes goes into silencer. I don’t have any tubing or air valve around to try it. Checked PetSmart and Petco near me and nothing.

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't get good pics of it on tank. I did find these. The only adjustment is on the ring. I have it all the way to C (Closed).
I don’t own this skimmer but just trying to help. Typically “c” would mean closed - referring to the outlet pipe I assume. Closing the outlet raises the water level in the skimmer. You wan to go the other way and lower the level inside the skimmer.
Have you tried adjusting it to “O” open?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back