Protein skimmer - micro bubbles through entire tank

Regan Bothma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there I have recently transferred from my Nano tank to larger 150 litre tank set up .

The skimmer itself in the new 150 litre tank runs absolutely perfectly and is skimming well, No need for tuning.

I’ve added Dr Tim’s all in one and transferred fish etc and they all happy and all readings are 0 ammonia 0 nitrate etc
Salinity is 1025

My question is my protein skimmer is sending out micro bubbles through out the tank. So my tank has millions of tiny bubbles through out. How do I rectify this ?

Is this perhaps because it’s a new tank water that the protein skimmer ( Boyu) sends out bubbles ? My tank water is also a little cloudy at present .

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks for the help really appreciate it.

Regan

image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
Regan Bothma

Regan Bothma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes skimmers just need to break in for a bit.

Hi thanks for the reply Mr Obscura . So it takes a while for the micro bubbles to go away? U just gotta deal with them for a while until protein skimmer breaks in ?

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thanks for the reply Mr Obscura . So it takes a while for the micro bubbles to go away? U just gotta deal with them for a while until protein skimmer breaks in ?

Yes. If the skimmer is new you will likely see microbubbles as it breaks In.

OP
OP
Regan Bothma

Regan Bothma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably just a break in period. Skimmers will do this from time to time also if a lot of surfactants are added to the water. Either way it isn't harmful

Hi AcroNew thanks for reply so by surfactants you mean Dr Tim’s ?

OP
OP
Regan Bothma

Regan Bothma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epoxy contains surfactants and always create a micro bubble storm in my experience. As has been said though it is likely the break in period

Oh yes good point Scattered I used a lot of epoxy on the rocks although all the epoxy was hard when I put the rocks in it possibly has affected the water. Thanks

OP
OP
Regan Bothma

Regan Bothma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question slightly off topic. My ammonia is a little high. Should I add this while fish are in the tank is this a problem ? I have already done a water change.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 133 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back