Protein skimmer not skimming

mikesilverado8888

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 28, 2015
Messages
335
Reaction score
48
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea max 250 just bought a new protein skimmer pump it doesn't work any better than the old one. Is there a crack or something that could be causing the protein skimmer not to skim
 
What is it doing?
Its not the pump that makes it skim it the air intake and the efficiency of the bubble size and contact time.
 
As in size or volume?
The smaller the better but volume is key also
 
I would check your air intake, venturi.
Sounds like its not drawing enough air

Pictures of the pump and venturi would help :-)
 
I would check your air intake, venturi.
Sounds like its not drawing enough air

Pictures of the pump and venturi would help :-)
0714152a9433e20398d054f3e0c5065d.jpg
it's fully open all the air it can get is open
 
I am thinking the air inlet needs to be cleaned out
 
agreed with twilliard. clean it all really well. see what happens. I know of a lot of people who will drill out the venturi and fitted a bigger hose to allow more air but I wouldn't do that unless its a last resort.
 
Can you blow air through it easily?
If so it may also be cavitating
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new