Protein skimmer on a 180 gallon mixed reef with a good sized population of fish

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some advice. Seems my old Reef octopus 110 INT is finally tiring out.
So I’m in the middle of a tank transfer (slowly over the next few weeks , transferring rock , fish, then corals slowly over to my new system. )

what are some good choices these days for a protein skimmer for a 180g? I am getting overwhelmed with all the brands and options!!
I am looking for an INT type skimmer with a preferably NOT-HUGE footprint that would fit into my ICEcap 36xL nicely.
Any thoughts or suggestions? (No EXT type pumps please , only internals. )
Thank u

JJT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some advice. Seems my old Reef octopus 110 INT is finally tiring out.
So I’m in the middle of a tank transfer (slowly over the next few weeks , transferring rock , fish, then corals slowly over to my new system. )

what are some good choices these days for a protein skimmer for a 180g? I am getting overwhelmed with all the brands and options!!
I am looking for an INT type skimmer with a preferably NOT-HUGE footprint that would fit into my ICEcap 36xL nicely.
Any thoughts or suggestions? (No EXT type pumps please , only internals. )
Thank u
What is the space in your sump for the skimmer? Reef Octopus is known for changing pumps often and the skimmer that I replace most for hobbyists. a true venturi skimmer will last a lifetime and any water pump can be used. Check out Lifereef SVS2-24 protein skimmer, you'll be surprised at how much different your hobby will be without having to take the skimmer apart to clean (self-cleaning body), set and forget since the venturi too is self-cleaning and the number one reason for needle-wheel skimmers changing their water levels. And when the pump fails you just go get any pump you favor, no special needle-wheel impeller things that ALL make the same tiny bubbles regardless of the impeller design.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a RO like 200+ and up.
a newer one would have a DC pump.
If trying to save some coin try simplicity . I think they have a sale going on now (IDK where your are from , likely only in the states).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back