Protein Skimmer or Algae Turf Scrubber?

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
regarding why use both - I have read that they both have different outcomes - the bacteria bloom from dosing can help encourage sponge growth, the algae releases some chemicals that are good for coral and fish health - but that's not something I've specifically noticed or could prove on my own. What I have noticed is that the scrubber has a big capacity for removing stuff (for a while, my tank phosphates were lower than my make-up water phosphates until I replaced a make-up container and turned down the scrubber), but it is slower to react. Dosing is very fast to react - you can dose more or less "right now", algae growth takes a few days. So you could use them like a coarse and fine control. I run an ATS, I sometimes dose.
If you like to run things like Vibrant, an ATS may need to come off line.

regarding the OP wanting to keep both - there is an alternate installation you might consider, or you might not like. Your skimmer belongs in the sump, but you could mount the ATS above the tank. You'll get more pods in the tank possibly, but it will require another pump - so more heat and power. And visible gear - depending on how you feel about that. But probably easier maintenance access.

OP
OP
fishybizzness

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I made up my mind! I will be using the skimmer and selling the Turbo's scrubber. My reason behind my decision has to mainly do with space constraints. The cabinet and sump area is really small and I was taking some measurements and the skimmer will take up alot less room than the scrubber as most of the skimmer is inside the sump with only the cup sticking out above the top. The scrubber on the other hand will be sitting on top of the sump and the space above it will be tight. I feel that it will be too much equipment for such a small area and will make working in the sump a real pain! I feel that with the filter roller and the skimmer, the water should stay pretty clean.

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I made up my mind! I will be using the skimmer and selling the Turbo's scrubber. My reason behind my decision has to mainly do with space constraints. The cabinet and sump area is really small and I was taking some measurements and the skimmer will take up alot less room than the scrubber as most of the skimmer is inside the sump with only the cup sticking out above the top. The scrubber on the other hand will be sitting on top of the sump and the space above it will be tight. I feel that it will be too much equipment for such a small area and will make working in the sump a real pain! I feel that with the filter roller and the skimmer, the water should stay pretty clean.
What about doing a hang on Algae Scrubber? That way you could have both.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back