Protein skimmer outlet noise

  • Thread starter Thread starter MUTiger
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MUTiger

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 28, 2017
Messages
139
Reaction score
51
Location
Kansas City, Missouri
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reef Octopus Classic INT-110 skimmer. The way it sits in my sump, the gate valve outlet is only halfway submerged in water. As a result when water comes out of the gate valve it makes a relatively loud splashing noise. I would like to silence that noise. Could I cut down the pipe leading to the gate valve to drop the valve below the water level or would this adversely affect the skimmer function?
 
I have a Reef Octopus Classic INT-110 skimmer. The way it sits in my sump, the gate valve outlet is only halfway submerged in water. As a result when water comes out of the gate valve it makes a relatively loud splashing noise. I would like to silence that noise. Could I cut down the pipe leading to the gate valve to drop the valve below the water level or would this adversely affect the skimmer function?
I think it does have an effect — there might still be bubbles at the outlet. But for now, the main point is the resale value :) You could look for a connector tube to form a U-shape, as long as the final outlet stays underwater.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new