Protein skimmer recomendations

  • Thread starter Thread starter kyle9211
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kyle9211

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 7, 2024
Messages
17
Reaction score
9
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 90 gallon reef tank with no sump. I am looking for a protein skimmer. I would consider it to be on the heavier stocked side with many fish and corals. Are there any protein skimmers I could use without a sump that are not hang on back? Or are HOB my only other option? looking for recommendations either way on a good skimmer that can handle a heavy biology. Thank you.
 
If you don't have a sump, then your only options are HOB or to put the skimmer directly into the tank, which would be a choice.

I loved by HOB Tunze, and it looks like their 9012 is compatible with your bioload.
 
If you don't have a sump, then your only options are HOB or to put the skimmer directly into the tank, which would be a choice.

I loved by HOB Tunze, and it looks like their 9012 is compatible with your bioload.
Thank you.
 
Hello, I have a 90 gallon reef tank with no sump. I am looking for a protein skimmer. I would consider it to be on the heavier stocked side with many fish and corals. Are there any protein skimmers I could use without a sump that are not hang on back? Or are HOB my only other option? looking for recommendations either way on a good skimmer that can handle a heavy biology. Thank you.
I also have a 90 gallon. My skimmer is a Reef Octo classic 2000 HOB. It is awesome, it also has a side chamber where you can add media. Very easy to set up , use, and clean
 
I’ve had many skimmers over the years, started with the Lee’s with the Wood Airstone. My LifeReefs are the best. Only takes 5 minutes to clean the Cup and occasionally I wipe the throat out. They have a HVS3-24 Hang-on, that can be converted to in sump, if you decide to get a sump later on.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new