Protein Skimmer Stand

shadow1013

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2015
Messages
847
Reaction score
333
Location
Orlando, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a lot of people using stands for their protein skimmer. What is the benefits of doing this instead of just resting it on the bottom of the sump? Just making sure junk doesn't get into the pump?
 
Being that some skimmers function better at certain depths of water, the stands are probably used to find that "sweet spot" so to say.
 
I'm assuming we're talking about an in-sump skimmer. The reason is that skimmers work best in predetermined level of water. I actually marked inches on the side of my skimmer....which sits on a "shelf."




And here you can see it sitting on the shelf to maintain that level of water.

 
Last edited:
As Paul mentioned, the reason is that different units have different "optimal" operating depths, so a stand may be necessary to elevate the unit depending on a few factor's, i.e. bulk head height, etc. I did it using some egg crate and zip ties.

IMG_0987_zps585290c7.jpg
 
Thanks everyone. That makes sense. I haven't bought a protein skimmer yet so I didn't notice that. Looks like with my Red Sea Reefer 170 I shouldn't need a stand for the skimmer I was looking at.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 32.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new