Protein Skimmer stopped skimming

  • Thread starter Thread starter Merv49
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Merv49

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 17, 2017
Messages
214
Reaction score
169
Location
North Charleston SC
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using my Reef Octopus 250 INT skimmer for almost three years. Two days ago I took it out and cleaned it. Since then it fails to pull any skimmate out of the water. It just bubbles like a pot of boiling water. Nothing else changed in my system. I've tried everything I know to get it working again but nothing seems to work. The skimmer is also spewing a lot of micro bubbles where it didn't before. Any suggestions would be appreciated
 
I've been using my Reef Octopus 250 INT skimmer for almost three years. Two days ago I took it out and cleaned it. Since then it fails to pull any skimmate out of the water. It just bubbles like a pot of boiling water. Nothing else changed in my system. I've tried everything I know to get it working again but nothing seems to work. The skimmer is also spewing a lot of micro bubbles where it didn't before. Any suggestions would be appreciated
OK, I will ask the obvious. Was it put back together correctly?
 
If you did a full strip clean and teardown, the biofilm in the skimmer body may need some time to repopulate for proper skimming.
 
Did you soak the impeller in vinegar? I understand that vinegar can ruin these impellers.
My RO pump lasted many more years, probably because I didn't clean it. I use dilute pool acid now for descaling stuff.
 
it happens

unless you have some old skimmate handy and can dose a few drops down the neck, then you'll just have to wait it out and let it run. i keep a 1 ounce pill bottle full of old skimmate in my fish cabinet just for those occasions.

slime coat in the body needs to get re-established. when i clean my skimmers i don't clean the body unless it is filthy or has coralline growth, i only clean the pump, bubble plate, impeller, venturi, neck and cup.

a few drops of old skimmate down the neck of the skimmer should quickly stabilize the foam head and usually will get it to start skimming normally again.
 
Did you soak the impeller in vinegar? I understand that vinegar can ruin these impellers.
My RO pump lasted many more years, probably because I didn't clean it. I use dilute pool acid now for descaling stuff.
I run my pump in citric acid to clean. I have two so I just swap for the spare while cleaning.
it happens

unless you have some old skimmate handy and can dose a few drops down the neck, then you'll just have to wait it out and let it run. i keep a 1 ounce pill bottle full of old skimmate in my fish cabinet just for those occasions.

slime coat in the body needs to get re-established. when i clean my skimmers i don't clean the body unless it is filthy or has coralline growth, i only clean the pump, bubble plate, impeller, venturi, neck and cup.

a few drops of old skimmate down the neck of the skimmer should quickly stabilize the foam head and usually will get it to start skimming normally again.
Sounds right. Thanks for the tip
 
Take the impeller out and inspect closely for damage or swelling
 
Commercial foam fractionation processes use something called reflux or enrichment, which is putting some of the foamate back into the column to help ensure the foam column has enough material to maintain the foam head.
I emulate this by never cleaning the body.
Never clean the skimmer.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.8%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new