Protein skimmer, wave maker or sponge filter?

BrittneyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on an upgrade next year and going from 70 gallons to 150 gallons.

I will be keeping about 1/3 of the rock in the current tank and replacing the rest with new aquacultured live rock.

I have a 110 gallon stock tank and want to start having 10-20 lbs shipped to me every month or so to help spread out the costs.

While this rock cures and is in a holding tank until the new tank arrives would you add a protein skimmer, wave maker or a sponge filter? In the past I have just used a wave maker but it was for a shorter amount of time.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am planning on an upgrade next year and going from 70 gallons to 150 gallons.

I will be keeping about 1/3 of the rock in the current tank and replacing the rest with new aquacultured live rock.

I have a 110 gallon stock tank and want to start having 10-20 lbs shipped to me every month or so to help spread out the costs.

While this rock cures and is in a holding tank until the new tank arrives would you add a protein skimmer, wave maker or a sponge filter? In the past I have just used a wave maker but it was for a shorter amount of time.
This does not make complete sense. - are you talking about in your curing rock? your new tank?. I would not add a wave maker - I would add FLOW - with oxygen - assuming you mean in your holding tank

OP
OP
B

BrittneyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This does not make complete sense. - are you talking about in your curing rock? your new tank?. I would not add a wave maker - I would add FLOW - with oxygen - assuming you mean in your holding tank
Yes I am talking about keeping it in the stock tank while it cures and then until my new tank arrives. Obviously when I set up the the tank I will have everything (sump, skimmer, fuge, wavemakers in the DT) I am asking currently about the stock tank that will hold the LR until the tank is here.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes I am talking about keeping it in the stock tank while it cures and then until my new tank arrives. Obviously when I set up the the tank I will have everything (sump, skimmer, fuge, wavemakers in the DT) I am asking currently about the stock tank that will hold the LR until the tank is here.
Than a wavemaker to me does not make sense. Just a pump - perhaps an airstone, etc. A wave-maker to me is different. BTW - No offense your question was not 'obvious'. Because - you didn't mention whether you meant the 'old tank' or the new tank. BUT - now that its clear - flow - and oxygenation is the key IMHO. Also - others will weigh in - you may be making a mistake - just wait until you can afford all the rock. Doing it piecemeal - will kill more stuff - much delay your project - and to me does not make complete sense. I.e. save up - get your rock (with one shipping cost, etc) - cure/cycle/whatever you want to do - and add it to your tank - IMHO - again only IMHO - delaying it over months/weeks - is not going to be a benefit - and potentially a detriment. Best of luck

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Than a wavemaker to me does not make sense. Just a pump - perhaps an airstone, etc. A wave-maker to me is different. BTW - No offense your question was not 'obvious'. Because - you didn't mention whether you meant the 'old tank' or the new tank. BUT - now that its clear - flow - and oxygenation is the key IMHO. Also - others will weigh in - you may be making a mistake - just wait until you can afford all the rock. Doing it piecemeal - will kill more stuff - much delay your project - and to me does not make complete sense. I.e. save up - get your rock (with one shipping cost, etc) - cure/cycle/whatever you want to do - and add it to your tank - IMHO - again only IMHO - delaying it over months/weeks - is not going to be a benefit - and potentially a detriment. Best of luck
ps - water changes will rapidly help the process

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back