Protein skimmer worth the buy?

Gianluca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have got a 45 gallon tank and I plan to get a decent bio load, more in terms of coral not so much in fish. But I wanted know if getting a protein skimmer is worth it given my tank size and such. I was looking at the instant ocean 100g skimmer cause it’s on sale at my LFS, I figured bigger is better. Anyways what do you all think?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am cheap when it comes to my equipment, I use jebao powerheads, and black box lights, so when I say this it is not because I think cheaper products are inferior. I would buy any other skimmer before I would buy a sea clone. When I started in this hobby many years ago my first two skimmers were sea clones, and they would skim a little bit out of the water but it wasn't until I switches to a reputable brand that I realized how much better it could be. Even though it claims to be rated at 100 gallon that is a complete joke of a rating it wouldn't even be close to effectively skimming a 100 gallon tank.
Also, protein skimmers is one of those things where bigger isn't always better. An oversized protein skimmer (which the sea clone isn't for a 45 IMO) will not work properly.

OP
OP
Gianluca

Gianluca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am cheap when it comes to my equipment, I use jebao powerheads, and black box lights, so when I say this it is not because I think cheaper products are inferior. I would buy any other skimmer before I would buy a sea clone. When I started in this hobby many years ago my first two skimmers were sea clones, and they would skim a little bit out of the water but it wasn't until I switches to a reputable brand that I realized how much better it could be. Even though it claims to be rated at 100 gallon that is a complete joke of a rating it wouldn't even be close to effectively skimming a 100 gallon tank.
Also, protein skimmers is one of those things where bigger isn't always better. An oversized protein skimmer (which the sea clone isn't for a 45 IMO) will not work properly.
Ah, good to know. What skimmers would you recommend for a 45 gallon? Preferably lower in price but any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, good to know. What skimmers would you recommend for a 45 gallon? Preferably lower in price but any recommendations would be much appreciated!
I haven't had a tank that small in a long time so any suggestion I give wouldn't be based on personal experience with any specific model. Whether you have a sump or it has to be a hang on the back would make a big difference on other options.

OP
OP
Gianluca

Gianluca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preferably a hang on, I don’t wanna build a sump until I eventually upgrade to a bigger tank. Either way thanks for the advice!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your choices are much more limited with a hob skimmer but if it were me I would look into the reef octopus or the aquamaxx hang on back or tunze makes one that I believe goes in the aquarium, if your budget allows for any of them. But again I've never personally used any of them I'm just going by brand reputation.

IMHO anything would be better than the sea clone. It only costs about $70 for a reason.

Ironically, I do have a sea clone on my qt tank because I was building it from stuff I had in storage, but I'm using it with an outside airline to help keep the pH up and aerate the tank, I don't expect it to skim much if any.

Hopefully someone else can share their personal experience with skimmers in this size range.

Also, if it is the only skimmer within your budget it would be slightly better than no skimmer...probably

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both Bubble Magus & Aquamax skimmers are pretty affordable and work well. You dont wanna skimp on the skimmer, get something proven...

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one of these (an earlier model) on my old 40 breeder:

Although, you may want to read some threads about going skimmerless before you make a decision. Nothing is cheaper or easier than not having a skimmer.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a Reef Octopus HOB 1000 on my 55 gallon aquarium. It works pretty good, gets a good skim. A bit noisy, but I think that's because I bought it used.

That's another thing to consider, don't be shy about shopping used. Literally every piece of hardware in and around, including the tank itself, except the jaebo powerhead and heater I got used.

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay away from the Instant Ocean skimmers, they are junk. I tried one once, had to return it. Stick with Aqua-Maxx or Reef Octopus. And yes, your setup would benefit greatly from a skimmer.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I glad that you are trying to give your LFS your business, but sometimes that is not always the best route, I would check the Sponsor on this site for other choices, check out what others are saying, this is how you learn and grow.Good luck and happy reefing.

Back