Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protein Skimmer, Foam Fractioners:
Remove organic waste from the water column before it has a chance to break down and create issues.
Are they necessary, all depends on the system size. Anything under 30g and I'd say no, because you can do weekly water changes to rid the sytem of built up param issues, IE, high Nitrates.
Larger systems need it because its more beneficial for the system to have the nutrients removed as they are created.
Aquarium Filtration & Water Quality: Maintaining a Healthy Saltwater Aquarium with Protein Skimmers

OP
OP
Kizzynd

Kizzynd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a 40g & just now cycling. We have a power head for current. Also, do you think we should add the clean up crew first?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the cycle, yes, I'd add the Clean Up Crew first, and at least one fishy. =)

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running my 26g for 2+yrs now. At one time I went skimmerless. Never again! The stuff my skimmer pulls out of my tank between water changes is crazy!! Trust me when I say, your going to get real tired of changing your water 1-2x a week just to keep it healthy. A skimmer works 24/7 for you so you don't have to. Plus it adds great aeration! Today I do 5 1/2g water changes every 2 weeks and the water I take out is just as clean as the water I'm putting it, less the essential elements that is :)

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

islander84

Island Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protein skimmers have benefits but are not a necessity to maintain a successful reef. Me personally, I will not run a tank without one because of the benefits.
1) Removes waste ( excess PO4 / NA3
2) Adds oxygen to your water
3) conversation piece when friends come over....lol..... ;) jk

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do skimmers remove all particulate matter from the water?

12g Nanoreef. Zooanthids, Ricordia, Star Polyps, Acans and two clownfish. CF Lighting, 75% actinic blue, 25% 10,000k white.

mochaclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting a 30 gallon tank I need to return my skimmer because it was not the right one. So I need to wait on that for at most 2 weeks and I want to fill my tank, while im waiting on the new skimmer to come could I fill my tank and go skimmer less until I get my new skimmer?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 53 25.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 52 24.8%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 50 23.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 51 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back