Protein Skimmer

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In process of gathering equipment for 125 gal mixed tank. After reading the sticky post on protein skimmers, it seems to me the recirculating or aspirating skimmers is the way I should go, if I understood it correctly.
Looking for suggestions to guide me towards which skimmers I should be looking at. Reading all the manufactures bs is not really is happening in the real world.
Thanks

OP
OP
NDIrish

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on a limited budget (retired). Although I know biggest expenses will be lights and protein skimmer.
I bought a used 125 gal tank. Right now there is a Terminator II for it. I have read good and bad reviews. It is in working order. It has a large internal/external skimmer footprint 12" L x 11" W x 25" H.
I'm looking at:
Coralife cone skimmer 150, aquamaxx coneS co-1, sc aquariums sca-302 and now I have added the bubble magus curve a5.
Thanks

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea Skimmers are pretty good and not grossly expensive. They like other skimmers need a little break in but once they are set they work well.

Keep in mind, that is a good size tank, once you start getting a heavier bio load into it your going to need a bigger skimmer than the ones you have picked out. You say you're on a budget, just trying not to see you have to spend the money twice. I would suggest stretching the Skimmer budget a little more. Looks like you where thinking $250 go to $400 instead. Also your sump will be in the 25-30 gallon size for that tank. So you are up to 140-150Gal

OP
OP
NDIrish

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea Skimmers are pretty good and not grossly expensive. They like other skimmers need a little break in but once they are set they work well.

Keep in mind, that is a good size tank, once you start getting a heavier bio load into it your going to need a bigger skimmer than the ones you have picked out. You say you're on a budget, just trying not to see you have to spend the money twice. I would suggest stretching the Skimmer budget a little more. Looks like you where thinking $250 go to $400 instead. Also your sump will be in the 25-30 gallon size for that tank. So you are up to 140-150Gal
My sump will be 40 gal breader tank. So, with that in mind what size of skimmer would you recommend? Let's figure a med to large bio load.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SCA 302 is too small. Look on eBay you can get really good deals on skimmers as well as lights. I picked up my lifereef for a hundred bucks. I also picked up a MH T5 combo for about the same.

OP
OP
NDIrish

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SCA 302 is too small. Look on eBay you can get really good deals on skimmers as well as lights. I picked up my lifereef for a hundred bucks. I also picked up a MH T5 combo for about the same.
Looked on Ebay only seen 6i system. By the website I would need 10i which is 26" tall. To tall for under my tank.
What kind of MH T5 combo?

OP
OP
NDIrish

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks like I need to reevaluate the skimmers going up to $400 once I figure the size I need.

whysomanyshoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In process of gathering equipment for 125 gal mixed tank. After reading the sticky post on protein skimmers, it seems to me the recirculating or aspirating skimmers is the way I should go, if I understood it correctly.
Looking for suggestions to guide me towards which skimmers I should be looking at. Reading all the manufactures crap is not really is happening in the real world.
Thanks

Don't waste your time on ridiculously expensive skimmers. They do nothing more than a simple skimmer using the basic principles of physics and chemistry. I have a plastic skimmer which I paid $12 for. This with an airpump and WOOD airstone is al you need. Use it on my system which is about 50 gal split between display and sump. And it doesn't need to be "broken in". It will work right away if you have enough dissolved protein.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this on my 90gal, I love it! The curve 5 would be to small. The elite has the upgraded sicce pump which you want. It’s a great skimmer and not insanely expensive.

OP
OP
NDIrish

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't waste your time on ridiculously expensive skimmers. They do nothing more than a simple skimmer using the basic principles of physics and chemistry. I have a plastic skimmer which I paid $12 for. This with an airpump and WOOD airstone is al you need. Use it on my system which is about 50 gal split between display and sump. And it doesn't need to be "broken in". It will work right away if you have enough dissolved protein. Fight the crap !!!
Do have any pics? What changes would need to be made for 165 gal mixed tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
reef octopus always as well as BM Curve and SCA units

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't waste your time on ridiculously expensive skimmers. They do nothing more than a simple skimmer using the basic principles of physics and chemistry. I have a plastic skimmer which I paid $12 for. This with an airpump and WOOD airstone is al you need. Use it on my system which is about 50 gal split between display and sump. And it doesn't need to be "broken in". It will work right away if you have enough dissolved protein. Fight the crap !!!

A wood air stone skimmer for a 125 gallon tank???

I will agree that a wood air stone skimmer works fine for a nano, if a good air pump is used, and the wood air stone is replaced about once a month. But for 125 gallons, you need way more skimming power than a wood airstone skimmer could supply.

OP
OP
NDIrish

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A wood air stone skimmer for a 125 gallon tank???

I will agree that a wood air stone skimmer works fine for a nano, if a good air pump is used, and the wood air stone is replaced about once a month. But for 125 gallons, you need way more skimming power than a wood airstone skimmer could supply.
Agree. Scratch that one.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked on Ebay only seen 6i system. By the website I would need 10i which is 26" tall. To tall for under my tank.
What kind of MH T5 combo?
Don't know what the 6i or 10i is I'll look it up. I'm using the oddysea 24 over a 40 breeder. Counting down to the your gonna burn your house down in 3....2....1 lol. Seriously though that was years ago and I've used mine for over a year with no issues I replaced the halide bulb with a phoenix 14K and love it. I will probably switch to a 10k next bulb change. Skimmers and lights are probably the most argued about expenses in this hobby but honestly it's just marketing. Like the one guy said skimmers are just air and bubbles I tried LED and hated them.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back