Protein Skimmer

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical knee jerk reaction based on little knowledge and absolutely no practical experience. On what facts do you base that opinion? My single $12 airstone skimmer is keeping up very nicely with my 50 gallon total capacity setup. Is 50 gallons a nano tank? Why do you feel the need to spend more money than you need to. If this is some stupid way to justify your self image then why should I care if you want to spend way more money than you need to. So maybe you might want to spring for 3 and blow the whole $36 wad. Or you could just glue a "Gucci" label to the cheap skimmer.
It can be done it's about dwell time so if you build a tall air stone skimmer and plumb it remotely you can do it.

OP
OP
NDIrish

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know what the 6i or 10i is I'll look it up. I'm using the oddysea 24 over a 40 breeder. Counting down to the your gonna burn your house down in 3....2....1 lol. Seriously though that was years ago and I've used mine for over a year with no issues I replaced the halide bulb with a phoenix 14K and love it. I will probably switch to a 10k next bulb change. Skimmers and lights are probably the most argued about expenses in this hobby but honestly it's just marketing. Like the one guy said skimmers are just air and bubbles I tried LED and hated them.
I have an 30" Odeyssea with the timer. Haven't had any problems. It is all leds.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical knee jerk reaction based on little knowledge and absolutely no practical experience. On what facts do you base that opinion? My single $12 airstone skimmer is keeping up very nicely with my 50 gallon total capacity setup. Is 50 gallons a nano tank? Why do you feel the need to spend more money than you need to. If this is some stupid way to justify your self image then why should I care if you want to spend way more money than you need to. So maybe you might want to spring for 3 and blow the whole $36 wad. Or you could just glue a "Gucci" label to the cheap skimmer.
What knowledge are you basing your wood airstone skimmer performance off of? How do you know yours is so good? You said yourself in your other thread you never have tested your water.

I’ve used the wood ones. When I was just starting out. They melt in your tank and mess everything up. They are ancient technology that was groundbreaking in the 70’s and 80’s, things have come a long way. If it works for you that’s great but don’t flip out on people for getting modern skimmers that work extremely well and don’t melt blocks of wood in their reefs.

whysomanyshoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know what the 6i or 10i is I'll look it up. I'm using the oddysea 24 over a 40 breeder. Counting down to the your gonna burn your house down in 3....2....1 lol. Seriously though that was years ago and I've used mine for over a year with no issues I replaced the halide bulb with a phoenix 14K and love it. I will probably switch to a 10k next bulb change. Skimmers and lights are probably the most argued about expenses in this hobby but honestly it's just marketing. Like the one guy said skimmers are just air and bubbles I tried LED and hated them.

Hi,
I'm "the one guy" you mentioned. You seem to be one of the very few who understands the lunacy of paying ridiculous amounts of money for LED's and skimmers (and powerheads) that is totally pointless. Good for you. As for hating LED's I am curious as to what it is that you hated about them. Please let me know.
Of course if you hate the cost then you a right on. I laugh when I see some stupid fixture for $799. The materials cost for this is less than $50. Few more bucks for a custom enclosure, mount, etc. but NOWHERE NEAR enough t justify that kind of money.
I made mysetup using blue and white LED mounted in the plastic hood that came with the tank. Paid about $60 total. For the sump just used 3 screw in while LED's at the correct temp mounted on a wood strip with A19 bulb bases. $30 total.

What I really like about LED's is the same for just about any application. Low power consumption and virtually no heat.

Last edited by a moderator:

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first picture is my lifereef literally 30 minutes after cleaning it, the others are from a couple days ago. Lifereef skimmers are way old school tech but they sure as hell work. My tank is about 70 gallons total and lightly stocked.
44775623ae87869e754ea61763539acb.jpg
de57bc65faa1ebd6ca286cf68bdde09d.jpg
d25a92d37997267cce7a61750220630f.jpg
f446bf963fa57d8d9339d2501611ae94.jpg
bee7183e541e79d73d24a0793d36e39f.jpg
f79d66c7bddb47066e4718192d09b66e.jpg

whysomanyshoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first picture is my lifereef literally 30 minutes after cleaning it, the others are from a couple days ago. Lifereef skimmers are way old school tech but they sure as hell work. My tank is about 70 gallons total and lightly stocked.
44775623ae87869e754ea61763539acb.jpg
de57bc65faa1ebd6ca286cf68bdde09d.jpg
d25a92d37997267cce7a61750220630f.jpg
f446bf963fa57d8d9339d2501611ae94.jpg
bee7183e541e79d73d24a0793d36e39f.jpg
f79d66c7bddb47066e4718192d09b66e.jpg

Yes, they work!!! Bet you didn't spend a whole month's pay to buy it either. Good for you!!!!

OP
OP
NDIrish

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't know me talking about "justifying my self image" about labels. I am not trying to offend you. I'm looking for most efficient skimmer at the right price. I asked if had any pics or how to make one so could evaluate it. When I replied I was looking at Reef Octopus, you said good idea or buy 27 air stones.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I'm "the one guy" you mentioned. You seem to be one of the very few who understands the lunacy of paying ridiculous amounts of money for LED's and skimmers (and powerheads) that is totally pointless. Good for you. As for hating LED's I am curious as to what it is that you hated about them. Please let me know.
Of course if you hate the cost then you a right on. I laugh my sack off when I see some stupid fixture for $799. The materials cost for this is less than $50. Few more bucks for a custom enclosure, mount, etc. but NOWHERE NEAR enough t justify that kind of money.
I made mysetup using blue and white LED mounted in the plastic hood that came with the tank. Paid about $60 total. For the sump just used 3 screw in while LED's at the correct temp mounted on a wood strip with A19 bulb bases. $30 total.

What I really like about LED's is the same for just about any application. Low power consumption and virtually no heat.
I hated they color for one way too dim most of the light is outside of human perception. They don't look right to me. I started off with PC's and went to MH and nothing in the LED world can compare that's why everyone puts T5 with their LEDs. To light a tank properly you need multiple LEDs and T5 so there really is no electricity saving and I live in Florida so I have central AC so don't need a chiller.

whysomanyshoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't know me talking about "justifying my self image" about labels. I am not trying to offend you. I'm looking for most efficient skimmer at the right price. I asked if had any pics or how to make one so could evaluate it. When I replied I was looking at Reef Octopus, you said good idea or buy 27 air stones.
What I meant was that you COULD buy 27 airstone skimmers for the price of the unit you mentioned. And for $12 for a nice unit don't waste time and money trying to make one. I did. I made some 4" and 2" skimmers. They worked but not as well as the $12 one I bought. And you will spend time and money buying the PVC which only comes in far to long lengths. Then you have to fashion the caps and cups out of pop bottles (YouTube DIY). Absolutely not worth it. And I posted pics. Did you see them?

whysomanyshoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hated they color for one way too dim most of the light is outside of human perception. They don't look right to me. I started off with PC's and went to MH and nothing in the LED world can compare that's why everyone puts T5 with their LEDs. To light a tank properly you need multiple LEDs and T5 so there really is no electricity saving and I live in Florida so I have central AC so don't need a chiller.

Okay, you didn't like the way they looked. That is totally a personal preference and I completely agree with you.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is no need to insult. I've been doing this for a number of years. Maybe 13 years ago I had a JBJ 28 that I ran a wood airstone skimmer. First thing I noticed was that I couldn't use a 10 dollar air pump. I think I ended up having to buy a 30 dollar air pump to get it running correctly. I ran this skimmer for a year or so, changing the wood about once a month. Still felt it wasn't doing enough and eventually purchase and installed a Tunze 9002, and that kicked butt compared to the airstone. So yes, I have experience.

1565056234851.png

I'd have no problem recommending a wood airstone skimmer to a newbie with a nano....maybe up to 15 gallons, especially if they were on a fixed budget. But the bottom line, the "conventional" skimmers out perform these wood airstone skimmers.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it isn't. You heard that somewhere but I'll bet you can't explain it from a physics standpoint because "dwell time" is a fallacy. Do you actually believe that you need to build something that will increase the amount of time the bubbles are in contact with the water? Then why aren't the really really good skimmers 12 feet tall. More unfounded crap. 12" is more than enought for any skimmer, except when dealing with large volume of water, in which case more skimmers are required, not taller ones. Learn before you speak.
The best skimmers are really tall. Large tanks 10k gallons and up use 10ft skimmers.
113F2CDF-85E8-4D0C-901A-59885C489880.jpeg

Here’s a huge diy skimmer at the public aquarium where I was an aquarist at, oh yea I don’t know what I’m talking about though. Those skimmers clean the 25,000gal mixed reef I would scuba dive in twice a week to clean and target feed corals and some fish.
2926413F-7B52-480A-A603-2BD5809CABCE.jpeg

OP
OP
NDIrish

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I meant was that you COULD buy 27 airstone skimmers for the price of the unit you mentioned. And for $12 for a nice unit don't waste time and money trying to make one. I did. I made some 4" and 2" skimmers. They worked but not as well as the $12 one I bought. And you will spend time and money buying the PVC which only comes in far to long lengths. Then you have to fashion the caps and cups out of pop bottles (YouTube DIY). Absolutely not worth it. And I posted pics. Did you see them?
No I didn't see the pics.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing is we are talking about a tank that is a total of 125 gallons and a sump that will likley have 25-30gallons. Your system works for you.. great. But don’t talk down to others because they have equipment they prefer. The OP came here for help and opinions. People are offering them. It’s up to the OP to pick who to listen to.

Op, my tank total volume is 165gallons. I picked the Red Sea RSK 600 model for my system. It has good reviews and a small footprint inside my sump. It costs $450. It’s not the most expensive or the cheapest but it works. If you choose it it needs a break in period to settle in. I don’t have any experience with anything else so I can’t offer much.

whysomanyshoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quoting
Today I learned that pvc, wood and pop bottles are as good as Bubble King. Who knew?

I never said that. The ones I made did work, but not as well as the $12 skimmer I got from Amazon. And I really don't know why.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course you a right. If you are running a ph equivalent to Muriatic acid they will melt. So will all your tubing and any plastics. There is a huge history of melting wood that no one has ever heard of. You just don't know what you are talking about.

Just to clarify, most common acids, certainly including muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid), will do NOTHING to tubing and plastics.

mikus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Sea 300 works great for my 125 / 55sump. With all rock and equipment, total volume is prob. 140-150. I've got a moderate bio load of 9 fish + cuc, feed generously at least once a day. Skimmer in combination with kessil H380 on fuge show almost undetectable readings in nitrate. 0 for ammonia and nitrite. All of this, including using 200 micron filter socks on the return into the sump and a UV sterilizer, the RS300 (once broken in, and it does take some time and tuning) still creates a thick, black skim in the skimmer cup which then (my favorite feature) can be drained via included drain tube and ball valve. Skimmer also includes an integrated neck squeegee to keep the skimmer neck clean and visible. The pump is not DC, but still very quiet. Other than sound, don't see the need for a variable speed DC pump. I want my skimmer running 100% all the time, unless im in feed mode, which it then shuts down for +5 minutes. Integral gate valve works well for tuning and adjustment is above water level so never need to get wet while breaking in or tuning!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 81 79.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back