Protein skimmer

AngieLikedThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone explain this to me a bit further? Is there one suitable for my 20g that you reccomend? I did some reading on it but I'm not sure if I should get one now or if it's an unnecessary purchase (for now) considering I'm just now adding live rock.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty are suitable for a 20g. Is it an AIO tank or a standard glass aquarium? They come in models that hang on or fit in rear chambers of different style tanks.

With smaller tanks like yours you can get away without one, depending on what you are keeping. Just watch your parameters and do larger water changes.

Having said that, skimmers are a great thing to add when you are ready to do so.

OP
OP
AngieLikedThat

AngieLikedThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty are suitable for a 20g. Is it an AIO tank or a standard glass aquarium? They come in models that hang on or fit in rear chambers of different style tanks.

With smaller tanks like yours you can get away without one, depending on what you are keeping. Just watch your parameters and do larger water changes.

Having said that, skimmers are a great thing to add when you are ready to do so.
It's a standard aquarium and I was thinking about some coral and maybe clown fish.. first tank so I dont want to bite off more than I can chew, you know

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get one if you can fit it. They do more than remove "protein." The do a lot of gas exchange and also some of those organic proteins can bind to metals and other toxins that you will not be constantly removing without a skimmer.

If you cannot fit one, then do not slack on your water changes.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back