Protein skimmer?

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Thanks for reading

I was considering buying a protein skimmer. I have a heavy stocked 20 long reef. With water changes I seem to keep things good and stable.

I wanted to ask if a protein skimmer for that size of tank is going to make a difference? Things aren’t that bad right now. I get some algae and have to scrape every few days

For filtration right now I have a 75 gallon seachem tidal with matrix and chemipure elite. I always shake and rinse my matrix out with the waste water each water change. I also run filter floss which I toss every few days. Seems to grab a lot of stuff.

I was looking at the tunze 9001 which I believe is rated for 35 gallons

Any advice anyone?

thanks

ubasu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a hob skimmer with my 20 long. It definitely pulled stuff out. You get the added benefit of pumping air into the water too.

What are your phosphates and nitrates like?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers are just another method used to export nutrients. If nutrients don't need to be removed, than the skimmer isn't needed. As stated, there are other benefits to running a skimmer, but in your case it doesn't appear to be a necessity (due to water changes in a smaller tank).

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick with your water changes. If you didn't use any wild or aquacultured live rock try finding a few pieces or get some base rock from a freinds system that has some cryptic sponges on it. FYI Cryptic sponges remove the hydrophobic forms of DOC that promotes pathogenic shifts in the coral microbiome/holobiont ~1000X faster than the bacterioplankton that skimmers remove. Whats more, cryptic sponges remove the hydrophilic DOC that skimmers won't remove.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a very successful 60g cube for 22 years without a skimmer. Stay on top of water changes and you will be fine. Save the $$$ for when you upgrade - anything you'd get for a tank that size will be woefully undersized for pretty much anything else.

OP
OP
R

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply’s everyone. I think I will get one eventually. I know it’s not the be all end all but it does provide more oxygen and probably a more stable ph. I’ll probably buy a bigger one because I’m thinking on upgrading to a 40 breeder.

PeterZammetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Thanks for reading

I was considering buying a protein skimmer. I have a heavy stocked 20 long reef. With water changes I seem to keep things good and stable.

I wanted to ask if a protein skimmer for that size of tank is going to make a difference? Things aren’t that bad right now. I get some algae and have to scrape every few days

For filtration right now I have a 75 gallon seachem tidal with matrix and chemipure elite. I always shake and rinse my matrix out with the waste water each water change. I also run filter floss which I toss every few days. Seems to grab a lot of stuff.

I was looking at the tunze 9001 which I believe is rated for 35 gallons

Any advice anyone?

thanks
The Fluval PS1 skimmer was around 70 and it is performing well in my 29g Table Tank. Took 10 minutes to get skimate and completely broke in around day 7.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back