Protein Skimmers - Simplicity vs Eshopps

Icedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef tank is almost two years old and I'm looking at getting a new protein skimmer for it. Mainly due to the size of my sump (need a small footprint) and the cost, I've narrowed down my search to these two: Simplicity 120 DC and Eshopps S120.

1. Simplicity 120 DC pro's: It has an attached external controller for the motor. I like this because I'd easily be able to turn off the skimmer while doing maintenance, something I don't do now because it's difficult to reach the plug on my current skimmer. But is it really necessary to turn off the skimmer when doing maintenance?

The controller also will allow me to adjust the speed of the motor, something I'm not able to do on my current skimmer. But is it really important to adjust the motor speed?

There are a lot of reviews on this brand, mostly good.

2. Eshopps S120 pro's: It has a clear venturi, so I'd be able to see more easily when/if the skimmer needs cleaning. And it seems that this brand might have a sturdier motor than the other.

There are fewer reviews on this brand, but those that are out there are good.

Any opinions on either of these products or answers to my questions would be greatly appreciated.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had good luck with Eshopps products. I used to run their skimmers and I currently have their dosing pump going on many years.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Simplicity 240 skimmer, it works great and they have good C/S, they answer the phone and will help you.

OP
OP
I

Icedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Simplicity 240 skimmer, it works great and they have good C/S, they answer the phone and will help you.

Thanks for your input.

Do you find it important to be able to turn off the skimmer on occasion and/or adjust the pump speed? When do you do this?

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally do not use the feed mode because it comes on too quick, one thing I do not like about DC pumps if you unplug them they do not always come back on, and another problem with DC pumps way too much wires, the nice thing about DC pumps is you can set them to exactly where you want them, there is good and bad in everything.
How many gallons are in your DT only? I strongly believe that you cannot go wrong with either choice but maybe something will make the difference.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a simplicity240 its been working without issue the last three years but ive never had an eshops to compare. The nice thing i found is the simplicity use jebo pumps so its easy to have a spare on hand to swap in an emergency. I have occasionally shut mine off with the feed mode to do something in the sump but its rare and wouldn't be a deciding point for me. I do like the ability to control flow, water hight, and air flow to get the skimmer exactly how i need it to work but once these things are set you really dont mess with them. One feature i like is the ability to run the collection cup to a drain line or closed storage container, its simple but some skimmers dont have this ability. Cleaning the skimmer is pretty easy and straight forward since everything is thumb bolted but i believe most are built this way.

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a simplity skimmer. Did have an eshopps skimmer and will never go back to one. Just a bad skimmer . Maybe it was just my luck. I'd it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any. Lol. But I ended up going with a lifereef skimmer. Love it. Only down side I find my co2 media doesn't last very long. I recirculate the air from the skimmer to the co2 scrubber and back to the airline. Still doesn't last long. Will try an air line to the outside. But if u have it narrowed down 2 the two I would go with simplicity skimmer.

OP
OP
I

Icedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally do not use the feed mode because it comes on too quick, one thing I do not like about DC pumps if you unplug them they do not always come back on, and another problem with DC pumps way too much wires, the nice thing about DC pumps is you can set them to exactly where you want them, there is good and bad in everything.
How many gallons are in your DT only? I strongly believe that you cannot go wrong with either choice but maybe something will make the difference.

Thanks again for your input - I'm a bit concerned about the wires too. The DT is a 54 gallon, with approximately 5-6 gallons displaced by rock.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you have 5 DC pumps the wires become a pain. Having two DC pumps it is manageable. If you can find a Euro reef aka Reef Dynamics CS80 skimmer get it. I used to pour chocolate syrup skimmate out of my 55-gallon tank. they need 7" of water depth. Kinda loud so that maybe a no go.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%

Back