Protein Skimmers

saltwaterNeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairly new to the hobby and my tank has been running for about a month now and it’s truly my favorite hobby, but I don’t know how long I’ll last simply because of protein skimmers. That is the only thing that I have regrets about starting this hobby up. I have a Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 skimmer and it’s been a nightmare ever since setting it up. I set it up just like the factory said so. Allowing the “break in” process and it doesn’t nothing but leak out of the top of the collection cup. I’ve left the O-ring on the bottom just like it says and it’s like a volcano every single time. Bought a fluval sea protein skimmer to see if it will replace my aquamaxx and that doesn’t work as well. Maybe it’s me, but I literally did everything the factory says to do. I’d be real upset if a protein skimmer took me out of this hobby entirely, but it’s getting pretty close to be that.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dw, most hob skimmers are super finicky and dont do well IME. Try an in sump or in tank skimmer like the aquamaxx ws1 or icecap k1 50.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk just check the specs out online for sump/skimmer chamber and skimmer footprint

OP
OP
saltwaterNeff

saltwaterNeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk just check the specs out online for sump/skimmer chamber and skimmer footprint
I think I’m just going to end up shutting the system down and giving away the 3 fish that call it home. This protein skimmer problem is nothing but stress. I don’t anything bad to happen to the fish.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, you dont even need to run a skimmer on the tank, they arent a necessity in the hobby. Obviously up to you if you want to shut it down, but you can run it completely fine without the skimmer, good luck and choose whatever will make you more happy, its just a hobby

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go without a skimmer. However if skimmer issues are causing you to quit it could be time to move on because there will be other struggles in this hobby greater than that.

OP
OP
saltwaterNeff

saltwaterNeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, you dont even need to run a skimmer on the tank, they arent a necessity in the hobby. Obviously up to you if you want to shut it down, but you can run it completely fine without the skimmer, good luck and choose whatever will make you more happy, its just a hobby
Just go without a skimmer. However if skimmer issues are causing you to quit it could be time to move on because there will be other struggles in this hobby greater than that.
I’ve dealt with water parameters, ick, and other problems that come up both in fresh and salt a lot which help with through 15 years of fish keeping. I can honestly say that a protein skimmer is the only problem I’ve ran into that I can’t figure out why or fix. I’ll try without one, but I’ll eventually need one when I want to add corals or more fish. I keep the tank well maintained and clean, but I don’t think that’ll be enough for a lively and well reef tank

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
protein skimmer most likely because the 2 you bought are kind of finicky to be honest. Most small ones are and need the water level to always be correct so using an ato with them is almost essential. For a 40 though you never will need a skimmer even if you have corals just stick to the basics.

Rodi, quality salt mix, 1 week 10% water change, test only salinity, temp, nitrate, phosphate, (calcium, alk, if you add corals) and if you need to dose just stick with Tropic marin all for reef.
I think simplifying everything is always easier especially on smaller tanks. Skimmer mostly just adds oxygen for smaller tanks and less helps with maintaining nutrient levels

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 20.8%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 21 11.8%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back