Protocol on getting acropora eating flatworms from a reputable dealer

Mikuchar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been battling acropora eating flatworms for about 3 weeks or so which I've recieved on a shipment from a reputable dealer. I dip and cut all plugs off and carefully inspect all coral before entering my display but haven't qt my coral. My thinking was if I only buy from a few very reputable coral dealers and follow my dipping process I'd be ok...wrong... I know it's from this one company because that's the only company I purchased coral from in the last 2 and a 1/2 months. Out of 21 acro pieces most young frags but a few encrusted mini colonies I've lost 18 with 2 hanging on for dear life. Only one that looks positive is the green slimer. I've informed the co. Took couple days for them to get back and asked few questions and requested pics. Which I've provided haven't heard back. I guess I'm at a loss what the protocol is from a loss like this. I know one thing I've set up a qt.tank and nothing will go in display no matter where it comes from until it's qt for a few months. Ty in advance for any feedback

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry to hear that you got AEFW from a reputable seller! There are so many threads on here that explain how they defeated AEFW, but you may want to check out this thread below… The new Purge seems to be promising. I wish you good luck with whatever path you choose to follow!

Also, could you please let us know which dealer you bought the corals from, so we can avoid it?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found some on a frag from a sponsor here. Mine I saw come off in a dip though so no damage to the DT. Still crazy how I could not see them at all until they started to peel off from the dip irrigating them.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, that sucks to say the least.
I have a sixline that I hope would pick at flatworms.
FWIW I don't qt either, maybe playing Russian roulette.

OP
OP
Mikuchar

Mikuchar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear that you got AEFW from a reputable seller! There are so many threads on here that explain how they defeated AEFW, but you may want to check out this thread below… The new Purge seems to be promising. I wish you good luck with whatever path you choose to follow!

Also, could you please let us know which dealer you bought the corals from, so we can avoid it?
I've read this one and I've gone over so many different game plans. I Finally went with one game plan because timing as tiny was an issue so I went with it and so far I've lost 80% which in turn about 2000 in coral not including all the time heartache etc. That's the thing I don't know what the protocol is on that without calling them out because they sell cars that have life sails on this reef the reef site so I was giving them a chance to and the chance to do something about it but I'm still waiting

OP
OP
Mikuchar

Mikuchar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry, that sucks to say the least.
I have a sixline that I hope would pick at flatworms.
FWIW I don't qt either, maybe playing Russian roulette.
Yes you are... I had the same thought process and I have a 6 line rass too but I've lost a battle but I've lost a battle and never again will I not quarantine anything from anybody

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the best reputable dealers can have pest issues. Always dip and QT if possible, but at least dip.

OP
OP
Mikuchar

Mikuchar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Even the best reputable dealers can have pest issues. Always dip and QT if possible, but at least dip.
I always dip everything and cut off frag plugs and inspect closely but no qt....learned my lesson the hard way with no qt...2000 dollars later

OP
OP
Mikuchar

Mikuchar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Where can you buy this I went on their website and they said they don't deliver to my area for some ungodly reason and I don't see anybody else selling it

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can you buy this I went on their website and they said they don't deliver to my area for some ungodly reason and I don't see anybody else selling it
Says to pm @UWC, still in trials, but better than v1.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back