protopaly

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won these two frags recently. Was told the first is a tyree orange rainbow. Looks a lot like my sunny ds only lighter.
Second I was told is a purple protopaly. I'm not sure what that is. Can anyone fill me in?

rps20160229_121150.jpg

rps20160229_121213.jpg

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Acually the 2 times i ever went diving, all ive seen were protopalys instead of the regular zoas/palys. They grew like gsp(in a mat) and polpys emerged. It was funny but at the time i was taking pictures of them,i thought it was a favites because the polyps were closed. Im assuming the care level is the same? But that morph looks pretty sweet

mrbigshot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
purple death looks like the second.

the sunny d came from vivid originally and were sold as rainbows later they were renamed sunny d when they morphed to a brighter color under more light and developed a sparkly skirt.

the problem with named corals is the same coral morph can be collect from a reef and sent to many different wholesalers, who inturn sell them to retailers that each name it somthing different. steve tyree, reefkoi, cornbread, vivid etc all do it. some random no name (and even famous named sellers) rippers hack the colony up and sell them at a gross markup caring little for more than a profit.

the 1st one looks a lot like a tyree rainbow that's in pretty rough shape from bleaching, but it could be called 75 other names by anyone who feels like picking a name for it. that is why many people now ask for lineage so it can be traced back to to origin.

it looks like a stunner and will be good to see with a better photo and healthy.

protocols are considered a pest lie aiptasia. they grow about anywhere and spread through the tank. they don't grow in clusters or mats like zoas and regular palys. they pop a few heads spaced apart and spread. hard to kill and usually in green and brown drab colors. they have a straight lash instead of a shirt.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. The orange looks good to me. No bleaching. But I'm not an expert. Lol
The purple I thought might be deaths. But these are the size of zoas. Deaths I've seen are bigger like palys. Could just be young I guess.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think the orange that is lighter cream color willcwind up looking like my sunny ds?

rps20160229_121150.jpg

20160229_112933.jpg

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do look pretty similar. Only brightness different.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunny skirts are thinner and more wiggly as well. But also similar. Oh well. Lol

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The hobby has it backwards.. They call protopalythoa palythoa for short. Palythoa actually look completely different and does show up occasionally in the hobby.
Protopalythoa are what we commonly see that are a polyp and look a Zoanthid or commonly called the button polyp. Most of the time they are larger than Zoanthids.
Look up palythoa caribaeorum and you will see what palythoa actually looks like, it is one of the best examples.

Palythoa when closed actually look more like a sponge or a type of seamat. The polyps actually completely disappear in the coenenchyme.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though all zoas scientifically are Zoanthus sp. In the hobby they're classified in 3 classes. Zoas which are the smaller ones that cluster together like fruit loops, rastas, eagle eyes. The palythoas which are bigger with longer stems like sunny ds, candy apple reds, utter chaos. And the last type is the protopalys which are big like the palys but when you get them they're very slimmy like captain americas, purple death (which i think is what you won) and texas trash. This type of zoas the protopalys is the most dangerous and the few people that have gotten very sick or gone to the hospital for boiling rocks inside their house have gotten sick of protopalys.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purples have shrunk a bit since I got them. Open fine. But shrunk. Advice?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Even though all zoas scientifically are Zoanthus sp. In the hobby they're classified in 3 classes. Zoas which are the smaller ones that cluster together like fruit loops, rastas, eagle eyes. The palythoas which are bigger with longer stems like sunny ds, candy apple reds, utter chaos. And the last type is the protopalys which are big like the palys but when you get them they're very slimmy like captain americas, purple death (which i think is what you won) and texas trash. This type of zoas the protopalys is the most dangerous and the few people that have gotten very sick or gone to the hospital for boiling rocks inside their house have gotten sick of protopalys.

Palythoa do not have stems at least not visible stems. Like I said the hobby has bèen calling palythoa wrong for ever. Open up any coral I'd book. Palythoa look nothing like protopalythoa or zoanthids. Protopalythoa is actually the coŕrect I'd for what we call palythoa.
Palythoa is actually more of a seamat.

When closed up palythoa is thick and kind of rubbèry. The polyps are enbedded in the base material (coenenchyem)

Last edited:

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palythoa do not have stems at least not visible stems. Like I said the hobby has bèen calling palythoa wrong for ever. Open up any coral I'd book. Palythoa look nothing like protopalythoa or zoanthids. Protopalythoa is actually the coŕrect I'd for what we call palythoa.
Palythoa is actually more of a seamat.

When closed up palythoa is thick and kind of rubbèry. The polyps are enbedded in the base material (coenenchyem)
I do not know what your point is or what you are saying sorry! Speak dumb to me so i can understand lol

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is palythoa
17.jpg

This is protopalythoa.

upload_2016-3-9_8-24-52.png

This is a zoanthid:
showrock.jpg

Cool! This is from a question I asked Dr. Reimer in regards to zoas.

2) how many types of zoas are there? like commonly people refer to small close together polyps as zoas, the bigger longer stem polyps palys, then the slimy ones protopalys and then the big green ones button polyps and the really big ones cinamon palys.
Basically, the aquarium field uses common names, and not scientific ones. These names really have no meaning to scientists. For example, some but not all people seem to often confuse "zoa, zoanthid, coral, paly" etc - and base these on some common external features. While the basic ideas of identification are generally not bad, in science we would say "Zoanthus sp." (never abbreviate) for this genus only, "zoantharian" to refer to all types in all groups, never use "coral" but could use "hexacoral" as Hexacorallia includes the order Zoantharia, but corals are usually Scleractinia." for this genus. In science it pays to be exact, so this is the source of one gap in understanding.

I still don't get it! lol. Like they don't name zoas but all SPS have names. All sps have a scientific name but zoas are forgotten!!!!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%

Back