Protrusion/ sore on regal angelfish chin what to do?

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a regal angelfish in QT for 6 weeks now. I got him eating really will mostly reef frenzy frozen food that I soak in selcon and zoecon. He had a good case of lympho that has completely cleared and the only issue I am having is this sore protrusion on her chin. It is a little red and a little fuzzy or white skin coming off. A couple of weeks ago I started dosing seachem Paraguard and I thought completely healed. Well I stopped and it came back in a week. I started the paraguard again a couple days ago as well now I am feeding kanaplex mixed with focus and food but seems to be VERY slowly getting better or it may be me just hoping and thinking I see it getting better. Lol. Should I continue or would anybody suggest something different. Sorry I’m terrible at pictures

9BCB1CEC-82EA-4E79-8DFF-6624F7BBBB55.jpeg DECA7B3B-A8D3-43DC-A05F-5E279422AC80.jpeg 5EFC1B44-7EBE-4A2A-8A78-C932A36EC129.jpeg 51FEE091-5CE3-4960-9ABC-E2509A92C2AD.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Antibiotics are very slow acting on fish. Usually treat for 10-14 days. That being said, while kanaplex is a very good wide spectrum antibiotic, for sores/injuries in the head area, using Sulfaplex + Neoplex works very well.
Beautiful fish!

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Antibiotics are very slow acting on fish. Usually treat for 10-14 days. That being said, while kanaplex is a very good wide spectrum antibiotic, for sores/injuries in the head area, using Sulfaplex + Neoplex works very well.
Beautiful fish!
Thanks so much for you feedback. I will give the kanaplex a few more days and if no improvement I will switch to your recommendations. I need to order or find those meds anyway.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be lymphocytis. I had a regal with a similar sore, but more red, in almost the same spot. I treated for 10 days with kanaplex and metro and it never got better throughout QT. Once he made it through QT, I added him to the DT and it cleared up on its own in a few weeks.

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be lymphocytis. I had a regal with a similar sore, but more red, in almost the same spot. I treated for 10 days with kanaplex and metro and it never got better throughout QT. Once he made it through QT, I added him to the DT and it cleared up on its own in a few weeks.

WOW! that looks like the same EXACT thing. It looks like my fish lol. thank you for the note. Mine did have other lmypho but did clear up. I feel better now if it doesn't clear up that it stands a chance it will just go away on its own It is so weird that its the exact same spot and look. i will let everyone know how it goes thanks all

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to update you all in case you are interested! I believe it is exactly as @puffy127 said. Lympho. The red soreness that looked open threw me off. The antibiotics did not change it and when I put him in DT it is already significantly better after a week. Overall so far doing great and eating. He just needs to speed up a little to get his fair share of food despite being biggest in tank. Lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back